WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

R.E.Robbins 18s 1885/possible wrong mainspring bridge? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hey guys, I need to know if anyone has or has seen a movement like this (pic follows). It is a Waltham 18s RE Robbins movement according to serial number 2749394, 13 jewel, open face KWKS. When I bought the movement it had a mainspring bridge that says PS Bartlett. I did do a short search on-line and others I saw had RE Robbins on the mainspring bridge. So I am wondering if someone changed it before I acquired it.
If it is the wrong bridge, and someone has a parts movement with the proper bridge, I would be very willing to purchase it. Have a great day.

ReRobinns

Posts: 23 | Location: Channahon, Illinois in the USA | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Here is a shot of the dail side.

ReRobbins dial

Posts: 23 | Location: Channahon, Illinois in the USA | Registered: March 30, 2013
posted
Looks like you have a frankenwatch there. Made up of at least two as the barrel cover is from a P.S. Bartlett, and it looks like a later one that someone drilled out to make it fit the kw setup.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
James, my copy of Waltham production records show that s/n's 2748001-2750000 were R.E. Robbons Stem Wind, followed by "mixed" R.E.R. AND P.S. Bartlett Stem wind Hunters, s/n's 2750001-2753001.

I fear Jim's advise may be correct for this watch appears to be "converted" to Key wind parts.

A full inspection of all the part serial numbers would help tell the story, but if you can, return it for credit, it is sadly not a good bet, even for parts.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Too late for a return or credit. This was a movement purchase, not very much. The case was a later purchase separately. The Frankenstein is already alive, so I won't kill it now. It is keeping very good time so far. I will have to look back to see who I bought it from. Thanks for the input Dave.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Perfect carry watch, though, if not a collectable.

I'd carry this one rather than one of my legitimate watches in my collection, as it appears to have been easily recognized as being other than what it is.

I'd suggest you put it in your pocket and enjoy it.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Just as a follow-up. The movement has never had a setting train under the dial, or lever. There is no indication that it ws anything else but a key set, so I am not surprized that it is key wind also. The only thing I can find in my records is back in January I bought five movements, $85.00, so I don't feel too bad.
I agree with you Mark, it is a good looking watch, and the only 13 jewel movement I have come across so far.
Here is a pic of the pillar plate. The serial number matches the top plate. The serial number on the barrel bridge is 26966. Maybe 2826966 which is an 18s PS Bartlett 1885, which is the same year as this movement.

pillar plate

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Hi James -- I just picked up a Waltham model 1883, and this the readout from the Pocketwatch Database, which might ring a bell:

Waltham Movement #2806269

Grade: R.E.R.

Movement Serial Number: 2806269
Estimated Production Year: 1886
Run Quantity: 500
Size: 18s
Jewels: 15j
Movement Configuration: Openface
Model: 1883
Movement Setting: Pendant
Plate: Full Plate
Adjusted: Yes
Notes: PS Bartlett & PS Bartlett Ga

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Here's the dial for that one...

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
and the movement...

posted
Mark, I totally agree with your sage advice!!

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Wink Glad to help, and that's a fine looking watch, my friend!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Ken that is a nice watch. I totally missed the bell you spoke of, can you elaborate more? also, the watch I was discribing is a model 1877, not an 1883????
Here is what comes back from pocketwatchdatabase for my movement,,,
• Movement Serial Number: 2749394
• Estimated Production Year: 1885
• Run Quantity: 2000
• Size: 18s
• Jewels: 13j
• Movement Configuration: Openface
• Movement Finish: Unknown
• Model: 1877
• Movement Setting: Key
• Plate: Full Plate
• Adjusted: Yes
• Adjusted to Positions: Unknown
• Railroad Grade: Unknown
• Notes: RE Robbins
I did also find a picture of another RERobbins from a past auction, it showed the movement, and it was also a key wind model 1877. Thanks for the input guys.

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Hi James -- I do know that the two watches are different models, but the common thread is that they are both R.E.R. watches with P.S. Bartlett features. Note the mention of P.S.B. at the bottom of the column i copied from the database.
I'm not sure how that will help you, but I thought it interesting, and you were asking about that P.S.B. and R.E.R. linkage. It is evidently right out of the factory.
Ken H.

posted
Thanks Ken!