Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

OTAY Dial ??? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I found this dial while digging through some items and although I am sure the watch maker marked it correctly, I would feel better if I got a confirmation that someone in here also verified it as one. It measures 45mm in diameter. Thanks
Will G. Tatman???

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Back of the dial with the watchmaker's markings

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Hey Robert,
Check the dial foot position with the list in the Erhart/Meggers book "American Watches: Beginning to End". It looks like someone thought it could be a Columbus or South Bend or Otay dial. Regardless, it is a neat find! It was perhaps never finished because the client changed their order( or name, Razz ).I think it is more likely that the bubbling on the back may have been why this dial was rejected. Thank you for showing it. You have certainly gotten into some interesting shtuff lately!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Cort I missed the other markings and did not even pay attention to them when I seen the Otay LOL Duh!!! I posted the question on the green board also (first time trying there) and here is the response:

Interesting looking unfinished dial.

The Otay mvts were based on the Columbus 18s mvts, for the simple reason that the principal mechanical man/designer of the Otay watch was a Columbus transplant. For this reason, OTay and Columbus dials are interchangeable. If had to guess, I'd say that the dial is a Columbus product (based on the style).