Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What does this mean inside the case back? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I have an old Grade 291 Elgin that dates to 1904. Serial Number is 11299683. It's a 16s, 7j open face.
Inside the rear screw cover these marknings appear: E.N.W.C.
That's all. The case is silver color and kinda heavy. Could it be chrome plated or something else.
Can anyone tell me definitively what the case is made of?

Thanks,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
The initials mean Elgin National Watch Company, if that's any help to you in your detective work.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Mark, I kinda figured that but usually there are other markings that will indicate the metals used in the case, but nothing else is there, except the case number 717657. I have a feeling that the case is just base metal.

Jerry

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Could be, but if it has those initials (Elgin stopped using them LONG ago), it could be silveroide or like material. Usually base metal cases are plainly marked 'base metal'.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks again Mark....

I agree with your last post.

Do you know if there is any cross reference books are were there records kept by the case makers that would tell anything about a particular case by serial number? I have never seen any such publication but I've wondered about that before.

I do appreciate you taking the time to discuss this.

Jerry

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jerry,
I can't tell you the material, but I just love those heavy old cases, and they really shine so nice too. I collect Elgins, and many of them are in this type of case. Although I don't know what they are made of, when they are cleaned really well, they take on a whole new look, sometimes better than silver, and don't tarnish! WhooRaa!

I would love to see a picture of yours.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thank you for your post Sheila, I really appreciate it. When I figure out how to take pics with my camera that are decent enough,I'll post some photos.

Thanks, again....

Jerry

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Jerry. What kind of camera are you using? I am not an expert, however, almost all digital cameras now have the closeup feature with the tulip. Just get some natural light either outside or in a window, hold the watch in your hand, focus, shoot, use picasso, done. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Phil,
My camera is a little 520 Power Shot by Cannon.

I have made some decent shots but I'm messing around with the lighting to see if I can do any better.

Finding the time right now is kinda the problem but I'm sure you know what I'm saying, you know, getting around it. Sometimes those roundits can be cumbersom.... Big Grin Know what I mean.. Wink

Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here are some pic of the watch in question, Sheila. Not very good but fairly clear. This watch really needs cleaning and a good buff job.
Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

Thanks for you interest....

Regards,
Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Jerry,
Wow! I think your photos are great.

Well, it's hard to say about the material used on these, but see the speckles on the bottom of the back of the case? They look a lot like the ones I've seen on a lot of Silveroid cases. Those things are so hard, that it takes a huge bang on them to get a dent. Of course I can't say for sure what it is, I have seen a lot of nickle cases like that too.
You have a nice looking watch there, and the movement looks pretty clean, so all in all, it's a very nice watch, in a nice case.

Fine example in my book.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004