Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another old dollar watch find...Manhattan "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Well I've since cleaned this 1885 Manhattan up and it is running very well. I spent about 6 hours on Photoshop and redid the dial. I found the same laminated paper, first scanned and then started to erase and replace all the printed items. It was tough finding the correct fonts, but was able to get the M.W.Co. exactly and the numbers super close. The original paper dial has faded and yellowed pretty bad. I'll keep it of course, but for regular use I needed a dial that I can read.

These dollar watches made by Manhattan are pretty scarce and the one-pin even more so.

Well here's some images of No#28356 with the very early exposed winding wheel. The later ones had it covered.

Roland

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Movements front

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Movements back

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Machined back of case

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Original paper dial

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Reproduction dial. If anyone else needs a dial for any Manhattan, let me know as I also did one with Roman numerals.

R. Glenn

posted
How do paper dials stay in place?

Also, there is a website and an iPhone app called what the font. On the website, you can upload an image of the font and people try to match it and tell you what font it is. The iphone app is cool because you use the camera and upload the image and it gives you what font it could be based on their database. Works pretty well.

Posts: 152 | Location: Miami, Florida in the USA | Registered: August 11, 2009
posted
Great job on redoing the dial Roland to make it once again usable for you. Nice looking watch as well.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Roland
As was discussed in another thread here, there is some hazard in doing such nice replicas. Therefore I hope you put a mark of some kind on the back of the dial stating that it is a replica. Especially if you are planning on selling them. It doesn´t matter how good the intentions are because no one knows what happens in the future and everything can (and will) be misused. That said, very nice work!
While you are at it, why not make a dial for you Molnija as well? The one with the felt tip markings.
Regards
Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Thanks guys.
I glued the dial onto the brass plate just like the original. I have kept the original dial and have made a note on the watch and my database that it is a reproduction replacement. If I ever do find a clean original Manhattan dial then I'll swap, but the chances of that are very slim as all the Manhattan watches are scarce and have various star ratings.

And yes i've thought of doing a dial for that Molnija, but since it's metal and if I glue a paper one onto it there might be hand clearance problems.

Roland

R. Glenn

posted
If you're inclined to get a bit closer on the numerals, I would suggest either Tiffany Demi (it's on most of the free font sites), or Railroad Roman ($10 at www.railfonts.com).

Posts: 40 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi John.
How do I add these fonts into Photoshop? It comes with tons and I checked out every font and this was the closest. Now in Word, sure I can add fonts, but Adobe stuff not sure how.

Roland

R. Glenn