Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Why watch collecting is so Rewarding "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A few months ago, I picked up a somewhat tired looking "old watch, dont work" from eBay for about $30, because the fuzzy picture looked like it might be interesting . . . .

I found that it was a 16s Waltham . . . last month, April 11 to be exact I decided to restore it . . .

The crystal was missing, the balance staff was broken and the Mainspring was broken . . .

The first good sign was when a brand new 18-8 White Crystal made by one of our very own, "snapped in" to the bezel like it was made for it!

Then . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I Cleaned, re-staffed, re-mainspringed ("NOS" Blue steel yet!), poised, lubed and timed this "old watch dont work" . . . that turned out to be a Factory Premium model 1899 movement Railroad Grade 21 Jewel Waltham Crescent Street made with a Jeweled Motor Barrel in 1904 . . .

So! When I put it on my Mumford timer it "came in" at .0003 Seconds "Beat Error", and 17999.98 Beats per hour (18000 is perfect). Cool

That very day, April 11, I brought it home from the shop to keep friendly "analog" time for me at my home computer. Today, after running in Pendant up position for 28 days, it is 7 (that is SEVEN) seconds "slow".

(Yes, I do use the micro-regulator to "tweak" the movement after final bench adjusting.)

THIS REWARDING EXPERIENCE IS WHAT MAKES THE ADVENTURE OF WATCH COLLECTING AND RESTORATION REALLY WORTHWHILE! . . . Oh yes, I see that it has a couple "Hairlines", do you really think I give a "hoot"!? Smile

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Great save David!

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008
posted
Dave I have to agree, sometimes good judgement and luck happen. On ebay there was an full plate Elgin, same things, pictures a bit fuzzy but I could at least tell it was an grade 150. The description said they could wind it but not set the watch so I bought it anyway for about $100. It turned out to be an early run (3rd) lever set grade 150, a bit rare since most 150's are pendant set. After a COA and a new mainspring the old bird runs like a top and always provides a debate topic about grade 150's being pendant set only.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Nice looking watch Dave,

That's great the watch ended up in the right hands to bring it back to service. It's amazing a watch over a hundred years old is able to be so accurate. Clearly your time, effort, and experience shows in the performance and looks of the watches you restore and service.

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Dave, that IS what it is all about!
My Manhattan was very similar story and now I've got a pretty rare dollar watch to set next to my heavier jewelled pocket watches.

Roland

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Dave,

Nice watch resurrection! I hope someday to be able to do what you expert watch repair folks make look easy.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Thank you, Dave, for saving this gem! For another hundred years or more it will keep someone on time and, hopefully, instill a love of watches such as we all enjoy!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008