Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here's another view "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
with the caps off. It's housing Howard #3882.

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Not a problem with the KW versions, I suppose I could drill a hole through side of holder for the stem winders..... but then I would have to notch the caps also..... be an entry point for dust....for now I'm just going to leave them stem-less.
Harold

E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
While we are complementing Harold's machine-work, has anyone noticed what a nice, clean, minty Howard Model 1862 movement that is? Harold, is that a Lange-style single-banking-pin escapement?

Clint Geller

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Yes this movement does have the single pin style. I've enclosed a shot of it for the benefit of those who are not familiar of this feature on early Howards. I believe it was first used in the late SER.II versions and was used at least up to Ser. #4207 of which I have an example. I'm not positive, but I think it was another attempt by Edward Howard to solve the "overbanking" problem because of improperly adjusted banking pins. This single pin projecting down from the arm of the pallet fork is not adjustable.
Harold