• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 317 jewel. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all from the UK. I need a upper jewel on the balance cock for a Elgin grade 317, 15 jewel pocket watch number 2206 2242. It is held in place by two screws. Any ideas?.
Thanks, Steve.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Stephen, this should give you what you need.

Elgin Watch Parts

Link originally posted by Patrick Wallin in the Technical Library, Serial Numbers and Site Links section.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Hi I have some 18s Elgin balance jewels with hole sizes 11, 13 or 15
Are any of these suitable?
Mel
mrmel.mrmel@gmail.com

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
According to my Elgin Parts book, the upper (and lower) PIVOT Jewel is p/n "X443". I can look in my stuff for one of these but you should understand these may need fitting which could require polishing the balance staff. Contact me at david@glopar.com so I can send you one if I find it in my Elgin Parts.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

One of the benefits of being an IHC185 Member is to buy and sell from other members. Please consider renewing your membership here:

Join and Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Thanks everyone for wanting to help Stephen out!

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Stephen, thank you for confirming your membership. Your "NOS" X443 Jewel will be in tomorrow's mail. I checked fitting to two different balance cocks and it is fine there. I hope the pivots fit.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I am as usual, overwhelmed by the generosity and sincerity of the members of this great forum.
David Abbe is one of those rare people who without any gain to himself has undertaken to help and assist just because he does.
People like this are as rare as hens teeth....
Thanks.

posted
Hi David.. Jewel arrived this morning and it looks identical. I am halfway through another job at the moment but this will be my next one.
Thank you so much....I will let you know.
Kind regards, Steve.

posted
I couldn't wait.....it's fitted and running just great, my first ever jewel replacement!.
The size was just right with no discernible play on the balance wheel and running in all positions...
Thanks to the great David Abbe.

posted
Hi again folks. The watch has been running very well the past few days so I am going to completely rebuild it. I have stripped it down and all jewels seem ok but the mainspring does seem rather small for a watch of this size. Would anyone know the correct size for a 18 size Elgin 317?.....that is height x width x and length?.
Thanks, Steve.

IHC Life Member
posted
Stephen,
Elgin mainspring part # 812 is: 21.5" long X 2.9mm high X .22mm or .23mm wide.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Thanks soooo much Steve. I have a selection of new mainsprings in a box so away we go.
Kind regards, Steve.

IHC Life Member
posted
You're welcome Stephen,

I sent you an old mainspring chart.
check your email for it.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
All finished with a new crystal....thank you everyone.

Life Member
posted
looks great! great job!

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
posted
Looks like a legit UK Elgin export model (dial has Elgin U.S.A.) and the export models tend to have the same look dial which must have been a favorite with the British customers.

Sometimes the export Elgins can be low production numbers because Elgin would sometimes make changes for the UK market. Nice looking watch and glad you were able to get it back into shape.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Great save! Enjoy it!