Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 1872 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Show us one of your Model 72 Walthams. Here is one of mine-Model 72 AM grade-sn-1831133

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Nice looking movement but I can't show you something I haven't got Smile

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Nice, Tony. Is it cased?

I still don't have a 72, because all I see are naked movements on eBay.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Interesting design on that.
A recased version came up for auction some weeks ago with a bad dial. It sold for $183., and the movement was different.
Tadpole regulator and the scale was on the balance cock rather than on the bridge. S#2040394
kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Eric,
The model 72 is not cased. For me it was such a beautiful movement that I had to have it in my collection. You just don't see these movements everyday. Hope you find a cased one in the near future.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 1338
posted
Here's a nice one I recently sold. Was all original.
They scrapped the cases in 79 and 80 is the story I heard. The case I had was marked 14K A.W. Co but the front cover actually tested 18 karat!

So here's what they look like all together:

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
That's a beaut, Tom.

I heard a story today probably known to some folks already: that three or four model '72 American Watch Cos were tested back in the late 1800s against other high grade watches, Swiss and American. They were taken low and high in temperature, varied positions etc., and the model '72s were not only better than the rest, but astounded people at the time with their accuracy under conditions.

I don't know if they could match a latter-times 992 or Bunn Special, but for their day they were king.
kh

IHC Life Member
posted
Ok, so now I've got ANOTHER hunter on my must-have list... Big Grin

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
I bought the #2040394. I have good dials and parts. The case was worn but intact. I may turn it into a display case. Hoping to someday get that elusive American watch grade 21J model 72.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I wondered about someone doing just that with #2040394. Good 16s dials - and cases - of that age aren't easy to come by, but swell if you had one!
What other parts did you need to get it functional?

posted
quote:
to

I haven't gotten into it yet-the balance motion isn't great, doesn't seem to have had any service in decades. The winding wheels don't look correct so I will replace them. Otherwise the movement looks much better "live" than in the auction photo.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Tom,
What did the Model 72 sell for????????
Tony