Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Metal dials - Personal preferences? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Is it me or do you agree there's just something missing in those metal dials. Razz The word "fake" screams out at me. Eek I'd like to learn more about metal dials. When did they surface? Confused Are they put only on RR pocket watches? Confused Higher end pocket watches? Confused Are they somewhat valuable? Confused Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
There are metal dials and there are **METAL DIALS**. Certainly many of the aftermarket and reproduction dials leave something to be desired in quality and aesthetics. But the watch companies ultimately started making their own quality dials. The attached announcement from Waltham's 1909 material catalog explains some of the situation. More common on the smaller size watches (14-size and smaller) they were also available on the larger watches.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Metal dials reached a pinnacle (in my opinion) in the dress watches (10 to 14-size). Many had etched numbers and markings filled with enamel and carved centers. Solid silver dials often had individual numbers of 14K gold riveted to the dial. A customer paid extra to have the fancier dials, supplied from the manufacturer. I have seen exquisite factory-original metal dials on watches from most of the American companies. Illinois supplied particulary elegant dials. A couple other examples are in this thread -- https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=5656047761&m=7966020003
In this case, both are Swiss-made for the watch company. The first example I know is factory original.

[I am speaking mostly about American watches here. The Swiss and English used fine metal dials somewhat earlier].

[This message was edited by JerryT on August 17, 2003 at 15:07.]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is an example of four very ornate (perhaps even gaudy) dials from some high-end Waltham dress watches from the 1920s.

posted
A very nice example of a metal dial on a RIGID BOW Illinois - 17SIZE - 23 Jewel - SANGAMO SPECIAL.

For another nice ornate metal dial, check out scan at:

NAWCC-IHC 185 "Timekeepers Photo Gallery"

Exclusive "Timekeepers Photo Gallery" ---- HUGE SILVER KW/KS

I like the metal dials for appearance sake, but must agree that they are difficult to keep looking nice.

Phil Dellinger

posted
Here's another example of a homely metal dial. Yellow gold with rose gold hands and numerals, applied gold decorations in green, rose, white, maybe some blue in there too.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
In addition to the "homely" metal dial like the one in the scan above Wink, some of the major manufacturers started making silvered dials for railroad service. When new, they were advertised to be easier to read in poor light than the traditional plain porcelain enamel dials. They sold for a premium over the porcelain dials as well, which may be one reason why they are not as common on RR grade movements as the enamel dials. Today, many RR collectors distain these dials, perhaps because they tended to discolor and darken with age. Please note, I am referring only to the factory original dials, not the cheaper thin aftermarket dials or the more modern reproduction dials that don't come close to the quality of the originals.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
The Illinois 12S did have some fine metal dials. Here's a couple of shots... This one is very simple and found on an 11J 12S Illinois...

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
And one a little fancier found on a 12S 17J Illinois "The Autocrat"

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Ed's quite right in his reply above.

Please, someone, post a picture of a 1908 Vanguard WI with a metal dial. I have two or three, but no pictures at the moment!

Those dials are die struck (like a coin), and they have porcelain enamel melted into the figures, which as the catalog claims, makes them "practically indestructible."

As best I recall, when new porcelain dials sold for $0.50 each, those were $3.00.

=======================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Jerry T.,
Thanks for the invaluable info you posted regarding metal dials! Smile Smile

The four metal dials are beautiful! You have posted some fine examples of metal dials. Smile

Phil D.,
Thanks! Smile

John A.,
Home metal dial? More like fancy metal dial! Beautiful!!
Smile

Ed,
Thanks for your info!! Smile

Mike,

Thanks for your pics, nice Illinois! Smile

Thanks to you guys I now have a new appreciation for metal dials!

Thanks again fellas!!! Wink

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I got this Waltham 12s today. I was drawn by the dial, then the back of the case.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is the case.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Cool Very nice example, Tom . . . many folks think that these may very well be the next Hot item in PW collecting . . . if so, you certainly have a nice jump start with this one. Wink

Timely regards,

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Stephanie, Great Post. I have a new appreciation for them now too!

I have NEVER seen any this nice. The only examples I had, were some really terrible ones, that I got because they were tossed in the mail with a buy. WOW what a difference.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Nothing like dustin off an old thread and bringing it back to life. Smile Thanks Tom Sey, I certainly can see why you were drawn to your new/old watch. Very nice!

Thanks Sheila, glad you enjoyed the thread!

Stephanie O'Neil