• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

ILLINOIS 18S MODEL 6 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
HI, I HAVE AN 18S 17J MODEL 6 ILLINOIS. I HAD IT RUNNING WITH A GOOD BEAT AND TIME. I HEEDED A STAFF FOR A CUSTOMER AND COULDN'T GET THE RIGHT ONE, SO, I PULLED THE BALANCE FROM MINE AND PUT IT IN HIS AND ALL WENT WELL. I'VE ORDERED EVERY STAFF AVAILABLE FOR THIS MOVEMENT AND CANNOT GET THE ONE LIKE IT HAD. IT IS .232 IN. LONG, SINGLE ROLLER, SMALL COLLET. THE ONLY ONE LISTED IS A DOUBLE ROLLER. I'M WONDERING IF THERE IS A MISTAKE IN THE PARTS LIST OR IT ISN'T LISTED. ANY HELP HERE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS BILL VAUGHAN

Posts: 103 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: August 02, 2008
posted
Bill-

I will step out a little on a limb and tell you that you are almost certainly looking for a 47602 (sr). They are very difficult to locate, let alone the price you'll have to give to get one. I think past times pocket watch parts had some last I knew, but that is about it.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
William,

Did you know that the balance arm has the watch serial number on it? Ouch!

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
YEP, I KNEW THAT THE SERIAL NUMBER WAS ON THE BALANCE. I GAVE UP ON THIS WATCH MONTHS AGO BECAUSE OF NEVER GETTING THE STAFF I NEEDED. I SEARCHED UNTIL WHAT I THOUGH WAS ALL THE AVAILABLE ONES FOR THAT MOVEMENT. HIS IS A MODEL 4 AND MINE A MODEL 6.
I HAD HIM SEND IT TO ME AGAIN AND WAS DISAPPOINTED THAT I STILL DIDN'T HAVE THE CORRECT STAFF. MINE WAS IDENTICAL TO HIS, SO TO FIX HIS I SACRIFICED MINE TO MAKE IT RIGHT. IT IS AN HEIRLOOM OF HIS WIFE'S. ANYWAY SINCE THEN EVERY TIME I GET THE STAFF THAT MEASURES .232 IT IS A DR AND SMALL COLLET. THERE IS ONLY ONE .232 LISTED IN THE PARTS LIST. I WENT TO PAST TIME WATCHES AND THAT IS WHERE I FOUND A COUPLE BUT STILL THE SAME PROBLEM. ANOTHER FELLOW ON EBAY HAS SENT ME A FEW TO TRY WITH NO SUCCESS. I'M AT A LOSS TO UNDERSTAND THIS ONE. BILL VAUGHAN

posted
The 47602, 79 or 6885 is for a hunting model and large collet. I measured the original that I took out and it was .232 in. long. I have his roller table, balance and hairspring to use on mine. The illinois parts link on this site, shows only one that is .232 in. long and that was the 6889, 599 or 47604. I've bought every staff available for the model 6 and none of them have been right. I really am at a loss on this one. Thanks Bill

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
William what may be the problem is the staffs you have bought are some of the swiss made aftermarket staff made several years ago a lot of them take a lot of lathe work too get them too work ..I have quite a few Illinois 18 size staffs and probaly have what you need i will take a look in the morning and see if i can help you out..Email me the serial # on you watch .also need to know if the staff you need has a small collet or large collet.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Hi Samie,
The serial number is 3535116. I was beginning to wonder if there was just a few in number that had a single roller? You can email me if you have one at xtexn@juno.com. Thanks for any help you might give. It is a single roller small collet staff.