• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone help a new IHC185 member research a pocket watch that has been handed down in the family. The serial # 338076. Also,engraved are the words: "Roy" and "USASSAY". Any information to document this item would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 8 | Location: Garden City, New York in the USA | Registered: November 14, 2011
posted
Illinois

Posts: 8 | Location: Garden City, New York in the USA | Registered: November 14, 2011
posted
Appears to be an early Illinois 18 size open face lever set, made 1883-84 time frame, no info on the exact jewel count but it might be either 11-13. When I see US Assay on the case I would say solid gold case.

If you can add some pictures of the case back and the movement I am sure the Illinois gurus will give you the exact info on the movement, ditto for the case.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Thanks Glaude for the information. I will post additional pictures.

posted
Additional pictures of illinois watch

posted
Picture

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In short you have an extremely collectible and valuable 18K Solid Gold Roy Case with an Illinois watch inside. The Roy watch case company made some of the finest solid gold cases ever. They are highly prized cases worth much more than "melt" value even at todays horrendous gold prices.

The watch you pictured appears to be smaller size than a s/n 338076, 1883 production 18 size Currier signed Illinois 12 or 13 Jewels.

Please confirm or correct the serial number engraved on the movement.

Check yours to see if it is a Currier. A 13 Jewel Currier is pictured below;

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Yes the serial number he is giving us is from the case since if you look you can see it on the one with the lid open and surely it is not a keywind type with that case.

Bill carefully open the second back lid, there is usually a relief area to open the inner lid near the pendant. Don't use anything thick an probably your finger nail will probably not be enough. So a small short thin blade knife and just put the tip in the relief area and push gently. Normally you could use a case opener but I doubt unless you are a serious collector that you have one. Try the finger nail first but don't hurt yourself, be careful if you use the knife, one not to cut yourself and two not to damage the case.

With a case like that I would expect it to be a higher jeweled watch, Also if you can open the bezel and measure the dial across that would be helpful also. As you look at it about the one you can see a tab protruding, see if the fingernail will work there. I would normally say on the bezel to say take it off but I think your case is a triple hinge, one for the bezel, second for the case back and the third one for the inner dust cover.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Thanks David and Claude, after opening the lid, the movement # 1883073, 15 Jewels. On the case itself is 14K #338076. Also sketched on the case is the code F1092S

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
The Illinois watch is a size 16, 15 Jewel, lever~Set, Model 5, Grade 173, Made in 1906. The movement is called a 3/4 plate design "Getty".

The movement is 1 of 18,670 made alike.

What is remarkable is that it is in a solid gold case, and in the box that it came in. That makes it extra special and should bring a good price on any market. It would appear to have been recased as I believe I see where an Elgin watch was once in that case. That would take away from it. The gold value will be the weight of the 14K case without the movement in it and will be the deciding price factor overall.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Congratulations Bill. You have a real "Keeper"! We have many discussion about the Getty Design. I think Getty movements are one of the most effective designs made in America. To be sure in good operating condition it will keep you "on time" anywhere you go.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Congratulations Bill, on having such a beautiful private label Getty handed down thru your family and as you have learned, this watch is certainly a valuable and worthwhile collectable watch....

Thanks for showing us this watch....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Again, thank you all for your input, very helpful for a novice.

Now I know what I have so appraising the pocket watch for insurance reasons is next. There is a very reputable rare coin shop nearby named Eastern Numismatics. However you have pointed out the uniqueness of this particular watch. Any recommendations where in NY to have this done?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I would suggest checking the Jones and Horan auction records. Their last record sell prices for Gold Cased watches is at;

http://www.jones-horan.com/1102/html/1102_X.htm

If you navigate that website you should find an e-mail for them if you want to ask about this. I suggest you advise first that you are an IHC185 member and you need to know what a Triple Signed (with signed fitted presentation case) Private Label 16s 14K Solid Gold Cased Extra Fine Open Face Illinois Model 4 went for. I would Guess $1200-$2500 in that condition.

posted
I am very pleased to have met you and joined this organization. Now, I'm excited by the notion of adding one or two watches and can be proud to say I am a collector and belong to IHC185.