Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

3D printing of watch parts "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
what you all think of that we can in a near future print our own replacement parts
http://news.yahoo.com/3d-print...ustry-090000134.html

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Peter this is a great idea!!!

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
I like the concept. But it may be a little longer before we can make use of it. I for one would find it fun to make the 3D models as at one time I played around with 3D modeling programs. Rhinoceros would be my recommendation to Windows users, and Blender is avilable for almost everyone. That would make it easy to design the parts.
The problem is that the 3D printers make plastic parts. Most Pocket watches are made of metal. But I think it would be fun to see if you could make a complete pocket watch today, even in plastic, on a 3D printer. One area we could make use of it today is a (clearly labeled) replacement dial, that or a replacement case to fit the movements that are now homeless.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
That would put a whole new twist to collecting!Being able to make your own dials,cases and watch parts would certaintly hurt the re-sale business. I doubt that I will be around to see it but still it is very probable!
Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
It's already an established technology for manufacturing parts in rapid prototyping, where just a few pieces are needed and there's no time to "tool up" for conventional mass production. I see no reason it wouldn't work for watch parts except for the high cost, but technological improvements will get that down.

Assuming cost can be gotten under control, a new class of fake components will be born, and we certainly know there's no shortage of sellers unethical enough to peddle them as original.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1357
posted
Ed, you hit the nail on the head.
Roger

Posts: 4094 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
As Im in aerospace industry there is talk of having
whole airplane made on 3d printing by year 2050.
2050 might be far away but not so far, as I remember year 2000 was far away at one point.

posted
Here is a link to a 3D printed watch, its actually the watc h case. But wouldnt a clear pocket watch case be cool?

http://www.todayandtomorrow.ne...02/3d-printed-watch/

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Does anyone who collects pocket watches really want a plastic watch? Smile

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
plastic now in future other materials will be use.
as the technology is in very early stage.

posted
Would i prefer mint orignal gold or gold filled cases? Yes! But they are disappearing fast. If I cant have one I would like to have a couple see through plastic cases Michael. Right now I have a couple of watches movements that the ultimate display case would look nice in.
As for a watch made of completely printed plastic parts? Sure, it would be unique.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While this hit the news media recently, it is not really new. During my recent (1997-2003) blast of design work we made many 3D laser crafted "solid" components in an 8-10 inch "cubic" domain for checking fitment and utility.

Possibly they are making stuff bigger now.

The nifty thing would be to laser scan and then reproduce some of the "classic" cases by using the laser-made piece as a "master" for investment (lost wax) casting of the "new" parts.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Be careful what you wish for. Reproduction of antiques (in general) has destroyed the collectibles market for many antiques. It can happen to watches too. Who wants an old watch when I can have a "perfect" new old one?

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
I take the old one Big Grin

posted
Ill take the old one myself.
Personally, I am a collector, not a speculator. If the bottom fell out of the value it would only mean that I could afford to have more old watches.