Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham New Watch Company Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bulent Ogel
posted
I have just recepved a large lot of movement from Ebay.
This is a working Waltham movement with serial number 604326.
Waltham database says 1872. On movement I read Est'd 1885. If est'd means estabished, how the manuf. date is before est'd date?
Thank you.
Bulent

Posts: 126 | Location: Istanbul in Turkey | Registered: December 14, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bulent

Your movement is made by the US Watch Co. about 1900, it is a different company that the American Waltham Watch Co. The US Watch Co. of Waltham was from 1885-1905

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It looks like your movement is shown on page 411 of the 2009 guide as a 16 size 7 jewel

Picture of Bulent Ogel
posted
Thank you very much Tom. what is the complete name of this guide?

Posts: 126 | Location: Istanbul in Turkey | Registered: December 14, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bulent

It is the guide you can purchase from IHC185, :Complete Price Guide to Watches by Gilbert, Engle & Shugart". It is printed every year, on IHC185's main page there is a link where you can buy it when you pay your dues.

Tom

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Waltham Watch Co. sued the U.S. Watch Co. of Waltham for trying to benifit on the Waltham Watch name. They won in court and the settlement was that the U.S. Watch Co. of Waltham had to put A new Watch Co. in Waltham on their movements.
The U.S. Watch Co. later became the Keystone Howard Co. which was located about a mile from Waltham Watch Co. on Charles Street.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
It's a very common mistake it seems. I got this watch and thought it was an old Waltham from the the serial number, such a low one. But then I realized it couldn't be. At least it only cost me a couple bucks.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I really enjoy the history of USWCo. of Waltham, as they were seriously engtaged in using watchmaking machinery made with (and by) the genius, Mr. Van De Woerd formerly with American W.Co of Waltham. Henceforth making some very nice watches including a whole lot of these little "0" size moevments. They must have really been a "burr in the saddle" of AWWCo.!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007