Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Illinois from Barry Hanstein "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Well got the 1918 Illinois that I won a couple of weeks ago and have modified it a bit to be more fitting for a 19j.

Swapped out the metal dial for a porcelain and added a matching Fahy's bezel with crystal to the back to show off the classic model 7 grade 169 with the added gold trimmings.

Great little find/buy from Barry.

The first image is how I bought the pocket watch.

I'm a sucker for these Illinois either 16 or the 18's as they just seem to run very, very well.

Roland

R. Glenn

How I bought this watch

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
This is with the swapped dial.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
And this is the faux salesman case look, but in a Fahy's Montauk 20yr deal.

R. Glenn

Life Member
posted
Very nice watch Roland. I especially like the salesman case to show off the movement.

Posts: 60 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: April 13, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Roland, the metal dial seems to have been the "in thing" for many people in that period. I hope you save it. It can be refinished by International dial Co. for less than $50.00.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I'm with you, Roland - I'm also a sucker for anything with gilt trim. Here's mine:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi Dave, yes I saved the metal dial. I actually put in on a 1928 Illinois so it seems more at home in that time period.

Very nice Eric! Same watch, yours is what a 1919 production? Like the gold case screws.
Got any extras?

Roland

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Here's the 1928 illinois by Hamilton at this point. Just put on the metal dial and into a Defiance case.
Simple as it's a model 7 also, but 17j and grade 805. Very similar to the 19j as the only difference is cap jewels to the steel escape wheel. The 1928 actually has 7th model stamped on the bottom plate under the dial next to the serial which I guess is a Hamilton touch.

Roland

R. Glenn

Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Model 7 movement with the 17j

As far as performance goes they are the same. Does a cap jewel make the movement better?

Roland

R. Glenn

IHC Member 1338
posted
I like those too, especially marked ones. I have a Rockland and several others.

Eric; That has got to be the cleanest newest one I've ever seen!!! Did you get it like that?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Tom - Yep, that was one of my few eBay "lucky picks", based on a feeling more so than the blurry pics. It was a winner all the way around:

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Eric;

Now that is one sweet Illinois...Good Find!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Good to see I've got the right seconds hand on this movement, as it matches yours Eric. Like that red ball ds dial.

Roland

R. Glenn