Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with Hamilton Model 23 & org. (box?) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Group!
I need your help once again. I just purchased this Hamilton Model 23 with box. My question is with the box. Is it original? This came straight from the original owner & they were not collectors. This was the only pocket watch they had. They stated it was a family piece & it was always in this box. The front label is missing. The end label is just a partial & the other label looks like it is original. What would have the end label said? You can make out "Master" (I think). The other label is hard to make out but I don't think the numbers match. If not original, what came in this box? What are your thoughts? Thanks again, Jim

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jim

Here is a link to one I sold with the original box;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...?r=76310493#76310493

On the top label can you make out the serial number it lists?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
James-

My first concern would be that the serial number and mfg number on the box does not match the ones on the back of the watch case lid.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Jim,
The number 33106 is for a 4992B. Anyway that's a great looking watch and at least you have some history and more than likely you're the second owner.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
James,

I realize that your question is with the box but I must take this opportunity to speak to the timepiece; The Hamilton model 23 is probably the most durable and practical 2 register pocket chronograph ever made...not to mention extremely accurate. I believe the model 23 shares the same train-escapement-balance geometry as the Hamilton 992B which enables it to hold a very close rate of timing. Besides that, they look great! I own one and even though it hasn't been taken apart for more than 5 years, I still use it often as a daily wear pocket timekeeper and it still holds a rate of no more than +/- 2 seconds in 24 hours!

The Hamilton model 23 represents a true pinnacle in American technology. Clean it. Time it. Wear it. Enjoy it.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Thanks all. WIlliam, they are a fine timepiece. But I bought this for re-sale. I just did not want to list it as the box being original if it isn't. I would still love to know what the partial label read. Anyone?

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Jim,

I'm going to say

WATCH
NAVIGATION MASTER

Here's a link to some 4992B #'s and there's an original brown box.
Evolution Of 4992B and 3992B Numbers / Database
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you for your remarks, William. I had been reluctant to carry mine, but your words have changed my mind on THAT now! I'll wind my Model 23 and carry it on a regular basis starting tomorrow! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Wayne Hanley
posted
I'm so amazed at the movement on the Model 23, I reverse the back & front bezel w/glass to enjoy the movement. A beautiful piece of work.

Wayne

Posts: 370 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 10, 2007