• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

private lable watch??? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I can't find out what kind of watch this is. Anyone out there know?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
posted
Hi Robert -

A private-label made by the Illinois Watch Company in the mid to late 1890's, and it is a 16 size hunting-case model 4. The model 4 (and in open-face the model 5) all will have this characteristic single winding wheel design and these are sometimes called the "Getty Models", after their designer.

If you can post the serial number of your watch I can give a better date and confirm the grade number, but I believe this watch is an 11 jewel grade 171 and looks to be a very nice condition movement. I would also expect this watch to have a single-sunk dial with Roman numerals.

Fred

p.s. I have been keeping notes on Illinois Watch Co. private-labels, so along with the serial number I would also be interested in the name marked on the dial and movement of your watch.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This is the first gilt Getty model that I have seen. How common are they?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
All grade 171's are gilt, but I can't think of any other Getty models that are gilt.

Total production through all jeweling variants and combined between OF and HC on this grade is given in Russ Snyder's Illinois database as a little under 15,000. Most of these are 11 jewel, maybe a third are 15 jewel, and I have seen a single watch in this grade that was (and was marked) as a 12 jewel.

The 171 is often seen private-labeled ... many of the 15 jewel were marked for Sears Roebuck and the 12 jewel was marked for Wm. Barthman of New York.

Fred

posted
Thanks for the info. I thought it was an Illinois but wasn't sure. The older I get the less I know. The name on the dial and movement is: F. Schneider, New York. The serial no. is: 1328142. The dial is single sunk and in great condition as the rest of the watch. The 10 year engine turned gold filled case is excellent. I will post more pictures if you want to see more, although I'm not real good at taking pictures. Bob

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
posted
Another picture of the Illinois PL.

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hello Robert, the watch is nice and the experts have emited their opinions, just want to say that you take good pictures and hence we need more Smile, bring more watches to the board,... we are pictureholics.

Edited: serial number puts manufacturing date of your illinois at 1898.

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Hi Robert -

It is a grade 171, and was made in 1896.

A very good looking watch throughout and thanks for posting the pics!

Fred

posted
Besides this grade 171 in gilt, there is another 11 jewel Getty model grade ... the 172 which is in nickel. I believe these also all will have screwed down jewel settings, and I don't think I have ever seen a Getty with pressed jewels.

Fred