Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

pocket watch runs fast.Solved. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi all I have one pocket watch that just run fast
so far gain 35 minutes in 8 hours.
What can be done to slow it down also watch been service last year.
and what can cause the watch to run fast.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
peter. Very possible to be a hairspring issue someplace. running that fast means the balance wheel is getting too short of a motion. As I said before, probably a haispring issue where it is either rubbing the ballance, the frame, or itself. It could also be a power issue. either way it would probably need to be looked at for further analysis. if none of these items are it, then the balance coul dhave more weight added, but this is a last resort after everything is thoroughly checked before this.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
sometimes just demagnetizing will do the trick Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
This is a blessing in disguise Peter !! You will never be late for another engagement Big Grin Just reset your watch every morning !!

A win~win Smile

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I agree with Jared. I have a Hamilton 952 that ran REALLY fast after I cleaned it and installed new mainspring. It turns out that 2 of the balance screws were WAY too short. I took some pictures and you can find them at the link above. But like Jared said, get it completely checked out to make sure that there aren't other issues with it as well.
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Peter, when a watch runs that much faster "all of a sudden" the usual cause is a "thrown" balance screw.

To check for this, let the watch "run down", then open the watch and carefully inspect the balance wheel to confirm that EVERYbalance screw position on the wheel is "paired" with a screw 180 degrees around the wheel.

My guess is one came off.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Well if one is off I would have find by now
this watch is size 18 full plate so no way for screw to hide.
could be that one screw is not tight?
But I will check per your instruction Dave.
Thanks all for the imput
Could that be that the watch some how got magnetize in transportation?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Make sure the hairspring is "inside" the two regulator pins Peter and should have just a bit of wiggle room to vibrate back and forth between them as it "breathes".

It definitely could become magnetized by passing thru some scanners the shipping services use.

I would check the pins and demagnetize it. Then it might have to go see the watch doctor.

regards,
bb

posted
all screws are there hairspring is between two pins
so now what?no missing balance screw.

posted
You could try adding more weight to the balance. If it speeds up you know that ballance is not making complete spins. If it slows down its spinning to fast.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Read pg 79 of the price guide and follow the directions and check the degree of motion the balance makes.

You haven't said whether you demagnetized the watch ??

Adding weight to a balance is a fine art and shouldn't be attempted without knowing what one is doing. One needs a scale and a steady hand and a good supply of weights to try and balance out or equal two exact halves of a balance.

Make sure your weights are paired up all around the balance by each one half[180 degrees] of the 360 degrees that the balance consists of. Another words make sure there is a "like" screw 180 degrees away from each screw exactly [pairs], as pointed out earlier.

I would guess that your balance is throwing less than a 180 degree arc of vibration. 180 degrees is required to keep close time and 220 degrees is better. A watch throwing less than 180 degrees will run fast.

If you're balance is throwing a minimum 180 degree arc, your balance screws are paired, the watch is not magnetized, it was serviced last year, the hairspring is between the regulator pins, and it kept good time after your watch was serviced, there may be oil on the hairspring somewhere, two or more coils may now be touching each other as it breathes, or there now may be rust on the hairspring.

regards,
bb

posted
Thanks Buster,
After reading and looking under 20X loop i think
i found the problem here is the picture
looks like the hairespring is rubbing touching
the balance cock and not breathing to full potential.
So I push the hairspring pin down and tight the pin
screw.
Watch runs near perfect for 130 years old Smile