• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

tool help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Maybe someone can help out a newbie. I have a 10 spoke sleeve wrench and I was sure I could use this to let down a mainspring. Am I wrong or do I just need a smaller fitting. Thanks in advance for some input. Mario

Posts: 100 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 10, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
what size watch 18,16,12?
I would not use the sleeve wrench to let the spring down
size 16 and under watches have a click just hold the crown and with small scredriver push the click to unwind the spring and just hold down to crown so will not unwind too fast.
here is video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rGWiTpD1_0

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Thanks for the help. The only problem I have is the watch I have (16s waltham)is there is no case or stem with it. What would I use as a winder?

Posts: 100 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: April 10, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
or the purpose made bench winder and letdown set of keys such as these to fit everything from wrist watch to 18 size, and they are a pleasure to use

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Mario,

If you don't want to spend the money there is another way. Just take an old crown and stem and it will do the job just fine.

I would also suggest using a piece of wood like a tooth pick to hold the click so as not to take the chance to add any scratches to the movement.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010