Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Here is one I've been wanting for years... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Here's one I've been wanting for years...

Rare 25 Jewel Maiden Lane 18s Minty Pocket Watch 2 Tone

One of the truly great Railroad Grade Watches of all time. Wink

Smile

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I'll bet no railroader ever got within 15 feet of that watch. Truly beautiful but somewhat surprised it isn't in a gold case.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
WOW Eek What a Beauty!! Sham always has premium watches and you can be sure they are as he states. I do not like going to his auctions for it causes me to drool all over my keyboard.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Thank you Robert for your kind words. Belive it or not I have already recieved 2 emails with buy it now offers, and ofcourse I declined them both. This auction will go on does not matter how much offer I get. And that is guaranteed. Thank you again.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The 25 jewel Maiden Lane movement sold for $30.00 in 1904, so while it wasn't cheap, it would have been within reach of some of the higher paid RR workers who fell under time service. For comparison, the Grade 260 (21 jewels, adjusted to 6 positions) went for $25.00 and the Grade 248 (21 jewels, adjusted to 3 positions) was $20.00. All would have been acceptable for entering RR time service in 1904.
The 25 jewel Maiden Lane is indeed a beautiful watch, but some of the verbiage in the listing isn't correct.
The Model 5 was not listed in the 1895 Seth Thomas catalog at all. It was listed in the 1896 catalog, but NOT as a 25 jewel movement. The 1904 catalog does list the 25 jewel, so it was introduced sometime between 1897 and 1904. Thus the claimed 1891 manufacture date isn't correct.

The claim that only about their being only about a half dozen 25 jewel movements known, all marked "six positions" isn't accurate either.
Actually, the 25 jewel is the MOST common of the marked "Maiden Lane" movements. Kent and I have 49 examples in our database, most of them marked 5 positions. Probably about 600 to 700 were built, including both 6 position and 5 position versions. The 5 position (first seen around S/N 350,4XX) is more common than the earlier 6 position movements.
The 24 jewel Maiden Lane is less common than the 25 jewel, and the 21 jewel (marked "Maiden Lane") is scarcer still.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Dear Ed Ueberall,

Thank you for your input. I am not an expert on ST watches, and I got the date from Price Guide to watches. The discription said that is about 6 of them known and MOST of them marked "Adjusted 6 position". That info I researched in past 1 month, when I made my mind that I will be selling it. I did not say all of them were marked, I said most of them (since that is the info I had). But in any way I will add to discription exactly the way the experts would give me the information. There for I will wait for many responses and then will add the information, within a day, the ones that most excepted by many and holds the most accurate info. I again thank you for your post.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Posts: 164 | Location: Overland Park, Kansas in the USA | Registered: September 15, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

WOW!!!!

It's already a thousand over my earlier bid. Roll Eyes

Fasten your seat belts...

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
I cannot convince my dear wifey to let me buy this beauty from 'our' funds. So I guess it will have to be up to our fearless leader and the rest of you.
Since I can't bid on it, I also have to wipe my keyboard -for my tears........Ha Ha.
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
posted

It's at $2,425.00 with more than six days to go...

So, how high is up???

Eek

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
What a beautiful watch! That one really is amazing. What a dreamboat RR watch. Big Grin

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi Guys. Thank you for recognizing the beauty of this watch. But I am telling you, the picture of the movement especially is no where close to a reality. My photo does show the colors but it really does not show how bright and fresh it truely is. There is a such a sparkle on this movement when you hold it on your hand that I cannot even explain. I guess if I was a good writer I could have done a better job of it. You can mark my word, when this watch sells the next owner of this item is going to be satisfied beyond belief.

Sham Agayev, CMW

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Well, it's at $3,550.00 with a day and a half to go...

Again I ask, how high is up?

Eek

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Sham,

I don't know where you get these rare and beautiful watches, but we are very lucky that you are offering them up for auction.

Keep up the good work!

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hi John. Thank you for the post. I am always on look out for rare watches and known for overpaying for some of them. Therefore I guess people learn that and call me with some of them. I am very lucky to have a surrounding of a very fine and long time watch collectors like many 185 members. Take care.

Sham Agayev, CMW

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
It is truly a beautiful watch Sham, as are all of the watches that you put up.

We will be looking for you in Chattanooga next week, where I will still be trying to get your picture to post. (Sham is always camera shy)

See you there. Phil.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Hey Phillip. Unless you get me drunk, you have your hands full. See you there.

Sham Agayev, CMW

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Hey Phil bring the camera to the WWT show when Ron has his little auction at the end. Sham will be there and maybe I will have a chance of winning a few more if he is trying to not get his picture taken. Big Grin

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
posted

It's over $5,000.00 with eighteen hours to go...

Just where will this end up?

Cool

Picture of David Johnson
posted
WOW! $6,100.00 and climbing. I was actually hoping to have a realistic shot at snipping this one in the closing minutes for around $5,000.00. So much for hoping. Frown

If the present pace keeps up, do we dare contemplate this one reaching five figures????

I remember reading an article about coins titled "when condition and rarity colide, prices soar". I think we are seeing a perfect example of just that!

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Well, I have been watching this one too, and I thought it would be pretty high, but not over $6000.00. I did think that it could hit $4500-5000 bot not much more. All I can say is

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!

and to think I'm getting mine serviced soon, and will have a nice shiny one, almost the same as this one. Not exactly the same, but a real honey all for sure.

Sham, that is one Gorgeous Watch!!!! WOW!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
posted

CONGRATULATIONS SHAM! Big Grin

That $6,766.66 has to be a "World's Record" price...

I've been really amazed watching this one!

That was a lot of fun.

Cool

IHC Life Member
Master Watchmaker
Picture of Sham Agayev
posted
Thank you Lindell. This is amazing watch that I just sold. Mark my word when the high bidder gets this watch he will be shocked by the condition of it. Thank you all for the great posts. It was a lot of fun, truely.

Sham Agayev, CMW