Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ladies HC Waltham 0 Size "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
A friend of mine brought me this watch to learn more information about it. She has had it for over 20 yrs.

As far as I can tell it is a 0 size Ladies HC Waltham, serial #12931858. It seems to be a lowered jeweled watch. The movement is marked American Waltham Watch Co. and has the serial number.

The fancy dial and hands are gorgeous. It comes in a nicely engraved 20 yr Philadelphia case. Overall the watch is in near mint condition, but it isn't running. I would guess it just needs a good cleaning.

Couple of questions:

1) What model is it, how old is it, and how many were made?
2) How much is it worth approximately?
3) Can anyone recommend a good watch repair person in West Michigan (Holland, Grand Rapids, Muskegon)?

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Movement

IHC Member 638
posted
Hi John,
This is a 7j unadjusted 0s model 1891 Seaside. Serial # 12,931,858 was made approximately in 1903 with a total of 12000 made in that run. There were six runs of this model/grade for a total of 50,999.

The price guide has it listed at $45-$100-$175 but condition and the beautiful hands and dial will dictate price.

Mike Smile

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Thanks Mike. That exactly what I was looking for. Cool

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
John,
Since I watch this one a lot, size 0s, Fancy dial, I know that they sell for a lot more today than they did even a year ago. Some Fancy Dials in 0s size, 7j, go for $230.00 in a GF case!!

However, one day they go for about $100.00 then the next they are in the $200.00 range and more, so it's hard to tell. This is an ebay observation of course, so who knows for sure.

I have also seen a GF sell for $428.00 with a Fancy Dial in the 0s size too!!!! weird huh?

A lot of new collectors are paying a lot for them, and maybe it's just that they don't know the value, or just like the watch and the Fancy Dial and hands.

Your friends watch looks really nice, I bet it would go for the higher bids.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Sheila,

Thanks for the information on the 0s auctions. I passed along the link to this thread to my friend, and she was just thrilled.

I don't think she is going to sell it, but it is nice to know how much something is worth.

Regards,

John III

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Update:

I polished up the watch and got it running. My friend was very excited and is now going to bring in some other old pocket watches for me to look at.

Also, a few other people at work have brought in watches for me tell them more about in the last few days:

Hamilton 992B in a Model 11 case with a Montgomery dial - near mint - a wedding gift from over 20 years ago.
Westclox, Dax - well worn
Modern Timex pocketwatch
Also a few cool watch fobs.

Word gets around quick I guess. This is the fun part of the hobby. Smile

John III

posted
John,
Great! and it's posts like these that help me to learn more and more, so we all win!

Tell all when you see the watches, I would like to know about them too.

Sheila

posted
A few observations....

When I go to regionals, I go primarily to add to my collection of RR-grade watches.

However, I admit that I am a sucker for a fancy, hunter case and a gorgeous dial. So, I always come home with one or more of them.

A few caveats. The fancy watches are seldom (with important exceptions) fine movements. The value is the case and dial (sometimes hands).

Since a lot of these watches were considered more like "jewelry" rather than timepieces, the condition is often spectacular. Because of that, I don't even consider any such watch that is not excellent or above, unless its movement has value.

Working on low-jewel watches is awful. Bushings wear and my best efforts are often not that gratifying. It appears that the many of the woman's watches were not meant as serious timepieces at all.

These dials often seem spectacular, compared to our much more utilitarian RR dials. But, they do have a tendency to crack. A slight crack will not detract much from their beauty but... any flaw will drastically reduce their value.

Gold is gold. Unless you meet a seller who is ingorant or foolish, you will find an absolute floor in pricing of these watches, based upon bullion value. Since I don't collect gold, per-se, I have little desire to buy an ugly or worn case, regardless of its gold-value. Still, I must admit that I'm a bit more lenient in accepting some wear if the case is 14k or higher.

Rather than try to price these watches, I have a mental minimum; my lowest bargain price for watches that I'd want in my collection. Then from that bottom, I can add value based upon superb condition, rarity, uniqueness, etc. (For instance, superb engraving ought to sell for more than engine-tuning, in a solid case).

Rule of thumb?

Ladies 0 or 6 size (solid gold) $200 or less
Ladies 0 or 6 size (YGF) Under $100
16 size (14K ) $500-550 (bargain)
16 size (YGF) $200 up
18 size (14K) $700 up
18 size (YGF) $250 up

I realize that there are dealers in these watches and probably an established market. My thinking is certainly NOT scientific or precise. The prices above are "bottom" prices and I will pay more (sometimes much more) if I really want the item. (This, of course, assumes a ho-home movement.)

But... unlike my RR collection, these acquisitions are "affairs of the heart!" The price goes up as the thumping gets louder! Wink

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Peter,
I couldn't agree more!

Solid Gold is another story though. Today solid gold seems to be through the roof. Almost always $500.00 or more, and there are many on ebay right now that have not sold for $498.00 because the reserve has not been met yet, so they are going for a lot more today too.

I have purchased a few at $200.00 but only 2 of them, the rest were more.

2 years ago, top dollar for a solid gold was no more than $200.00 in the 0s size with 7j, and Fancy Dial, but no more, the cost is way up.

I use about the same pricing as you do, and unless it's a "charmer" I don't go any higher than what you listed either. However, it is harder to get them for that amount, if it's a really gorgeous piece, and in mint condition, then it's at least $500.00 to start.

I sure wish the people that buy them for the gold would back off, or at least the "Newbies" would hurry up and learn the prices of these watches, so they would become reasonable again.

When one of my "Pansy's" comes up for auction now, they go for over $500.00 now. Sure put a dent in my access to them.

Sheila

2 Pansy's