Closed Topic Closed
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Gelson List. . . . How Accurate is it? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
For some reason it seems of late that the Watch Gods are attempting to make me work very hard at completing my collection. "Strange" quirks keep arising and disrupting the Tranquility of Collecting Watches.

Recently acquired a 993 Hamilton, Pendant Set Sterling Silver Hunter Cased example with Serial Number 1052067. The Gelson List shows S/N's 1051201 to 1052000 to be 993's for 1913 to 1915. This 993 of mine is 67 watches later. S/N's 1052001 to 1052500 are 972P Models for 1913 to 1914. My 993 would fit in as the 67th Watch in this block of serial numbers My Marked 993 is certainly NOT a 972P.

This leads me to ask if Mr. Gelson's list was what was ideally a list of Blocked Out Serial Numbers "to be Used" and NOT necessarily the numbers that were actually used? It seems to me that even in "the Good Old Days" things didn't actually turn out better than they usually do today.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/5581025012

The Serial Number seems to coincide with the year 1913 as a manufacture date, but I do find it interesting that it is serial numbered "Out of Order" of the Gelson List. This is the second time in about a month or so I have found myself outside of "accepted norms." Anybody else found anything similar? What's your take on this?

Will post pictures a little later. Watch is getting a COA and a new Staff. Probably will change the mainspring and maybe the hairspring also. I think the Dial is wrong and may have to look for one of those. It is a real nice No.577, which I think was made later than the watch.

Anybody know off the top what 16s Dial would be appropriate for a 993 from 1913-1915? Thanks!

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Paul,

Yes, the Gelson list is not perfect but it's the best source we have for Hamilton collectors.

Illinois watches are even more difficult as they produced many "split-run" blocks.

RR

The Hamilton Timekeeper 1914 Page 27

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Dials

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Paul Adams
posted
Thanks for your input, Richard! Yes, those two dials are about what I have figured. I have one of the one pictured on the left in Great condition and without any defects. I will probably use that one. Should have it all back together this week if my other duties allow me. Then will post pictures as it will be.

Posts: 181 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2008