• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Appleton Watch Co? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
While poking through a bunch of old plates that came in a parts box, I came across a couple that intrigued me...

One is an Appleton Watch Co plate. Does anyone know more about this company, and does anyone have any watches from this company?

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
This could be the begining of another "Frankenwatch" Eek Big Grin

Put it on ebay, maybe the builder will bid on it Eek Big Grin

Make it $150.00 Buy-It-Now Roll Eyes Big Grin

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Mike,
According to the book I'm reading, the Appleton Wisconsin Watch Company was formed in 1887 to market watches made by the Cheshire Watch Co, which began in 1883 in Cheshire, CT. Per the book "Two Hundered Years of American Clocks & Watches" by Chris Bailey.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
AND? Confused

Posts: 267 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Cooksie has a picture of one on pg 142 of # 23.
J Smith

Old Geezer #99

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I'd recommend making a more thorough search, and seeing if any additional parts can be found.

According to the books, only two or three thousand of those were produced, and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one.

It isn't worth a mint, but it's interesting....

===============================

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
Serial #93942 is pictured in the Railroad Timekeeping book (page 31) put out in 1996 at the Chicago regional. It is also marked "The Northwestern Special" on the dial.

A friend of mine also owns one of these marked Northwestern Special on the dial and movement, but unfortunately I don't have the serial number recorded on it.

Fred