Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dueber Special case, Gold or not? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I am the first to always assume gold filled, But I have just found this case it is marked "Dueber Special" as per pictures. I have done a acid test
and it is indicating 14K, it is not stamped anywhere, can anyone shed any definite light on this being a gold filled before I give it away

Chris Abell

case

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
case

Chris Abell

case 2

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Definately a gold filled case. I believe it is a 25 year but is for sure gold filled.

Check Shugarts page 37 and the mark showes up as gold filled also.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I looked today and completely missed that, it must be very thick and failed to get past the fill, hence my positive acid test. I wouldn’t be able to sleep if I let a gold case slip by!, LOL
thanks

Chris Abell

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I make it a 29 mm movement size ( Size O) will have to try and find one. to nice not to use this little hunter case, anyone got anything for it?

Chris Abell

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

YIKES, ACID BURNS ARE PERMANENT!!!

Gee Chris,

Where did you burn it with the acid? Really, there is no need for that. We can figure these out any time you have a doubt. The "Dueber Special" is a Gold-Filled 25-year case as Aaron mentioned.

The Dueber Special and many other "Gold-Filled" trademarks are well explained on pages 36 through 39 of the current 24th Edition of Cooksey Shugart's Complete Guide to Watches.

We'd be delighted to ship you a copy... hint, hint, hint.

NOTE: Acid burns bad Frown looking in book and learning from fellow-members Big Grin good.

Seriously, EVERYONE... the acid Chris used reacted to the gold layer on the case. Please avoid the use of anything like that. WE are always glad to help you figure these things out. I know Chris has a good sense of humor. And this is part of gaining knowledge. We all should learn something new every day.

I learned several myself!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dear Lindell,

I normally use of a testing stone & test rods up when checking out the cases and most of the time it works well, I take a small sample from a desecrate place.
I also have spent many happy hours cursing the ***** who randomly splashed around the acid leaving the now all to common penny sized spot.
I was at my local buy anything shiny shop, and watched in horror as this guy dropped a large blob in the case, followed by a make sure, filling a slot in the outer rim, yikeeess.

Chris Abell

posted
Chris,

I agree with Lindell on this one--ACID IS BAD!!! One slip up and you can ruin a case.

Tom