• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any Help Appreciated - Illinois Time King "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi there, I am simply looking for any history on this watch, it has initials on the front which are my grandfathers, any tidbits appreciated, I can post other pics if necessary

Posts: 6 | Location: Vermont in the USA | Registered: September 13, 2011
posted
here is another pic

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Bill, Your Grandfather's watch is a 12 size, 17 Jewel, Temperature Adjusted Model 3, Grade 405, Named "Time King".

This was one of Illinois' most popular movements with over 390 Thousand made between 1911 and 1929. Yours is part of a 2000 piece run from 1922.

Many "Named" movements were produced in this design grade including;
Ariston, Ariston Jr., Autocrat, Plymouth Watch Co (Monkey Wards), Stewart Special, Sterling, Penn Special, R.R. Dispatcher Special and Time King.

If the back cover of the watch can be found, it is very possible this can be fully restored. If the Back cover is gone, a good used replacement case would be needed too.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Wow David, thank you, I do have the back cover, and it has my Grandfathers initials, EAF, engraved, I could post a pic. I really appreciate this,I think I will print out your history and place it with the watch which is in a display area in our home, many thanks again

posted
this is what I will print and place next to the watch (formatted properly of course)if I am missing anything please let me know, I appreciate your help.

Edward A. Fox Sr. (my grandfather)
“EAF” (engraved on back)

Watch is a 12 size, 17 Jewel, Temperature Adjusted Model 3, Grade 405, Named "Time King" manufactured by the Illinois Watch Company

This was one of Illinois' most popular movements with over 390 Thousand made between 1911 and 1929. This watch is part of a 2000 piece run from 1922.

Many "Named" movements were produced in this design grade including;
Ariston, Ariston Jr., Autocrat, Plymouth Watch Co (Monkey Wards), Stewart Special, Sterling, Penn Special, R.R. Dispatcher Special and Time King. (courtesy of David Abbe Horology Club 185)

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
You could send that case to Leon Harris and have him re-weld the back to the hinge and restore the case, in case you're interested.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
thank you for the advice, I am happy with the way it is and the value is purely sentimental, as you can imagine, thanks to all on this site, I have learned new things for sure

posted
Hi Bill,
One thing I hope you have picked up on this site is that your watch requires service if you are going to run it. The oils used long ago gummed up and dirt gets in. Running it without service can do real harm. But let me also caution you about where you get it serviced. Long ago there were good people all over, this is not the case today. You may walk into a jewelers and be convinced that it will be taken care of. It may be then sent out and you may not be happy in the end. Make sure you hand it, or send it to a qualified watchmaker if you get it serviced.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
thanks for your advice, for now, it sits in a display case, with a few history notes next to it,,, I do not think I will use it or risk losing it, but I did notice it does work, so if I change my mind, or had it over to one of my kids, we will be aware of this

posted
I understand. I have a 12s Elgin from my grandfather. It needs service if I were to run it. I personally could even do it if I had a mind to. But the importance of it isnt that it runs, but who it belonged to. So it sits in a felt lined jewelry box and I take it out every so often just for the memories.
I just wanted you to have a little more info. Because if properly maintained these watches can last forever. But if not, and something breaks, some parts are near impossible to find.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010