• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Strange Dial, Is It Illinois? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Has anyone seen this dial before, note how the one to nine minute markers are sideways, and the larger numbers 5 - 10 -15 and so on. It appears on an Illinois PL movement, but could not find the dial in any of my resources, is it an Illinois dial? I also think the hands are wrong, but don't know for sure.
Thanks for any help
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Heres the movement, I believe it is Illinois

posted
Here is a Howard the minute marks are side way's some one told me it was so they would not have to pay montgomery for use of his patent.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bill

Your watch is an Illinois, grade 69, model 6, made in 1906.

Your jeweler appears to be James T. Laughlin, born in Ohio in about 1864, in 1920 he is living in Boise & married to Evelyn S., he is listed as a retail jeweler.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks Mike and Tom,
I guess the dial is not so odd,just I hadn't seen it before, except of course no name on the dial.
The info on the jeweller is always appreciated, lends a little more history to these watches.
Thanks for the info.
Wondering if this is some sort of replacement dial, and not the original one to the watch along with the hands, any info on that would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bill

I would lean towards a replacement, I would think it would have had the jewelers name on it. For a Illinois of that date it would have been either single or double sunk enamel & marked Illinois Watch Co.

Here is an ad of Mr. Laughlin's from 1902

Tom

ad

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It's my guess that MAYBE the jeweler made (or wanted to anyway) his own dial signature and it is no longer on the dial.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave and Tom,
I thought it might be replacement also, but do not have it yet in my possession, so will be able to tell when I get it whether it might have had a name on it at one time.
Thanks for all the input, what do you think about the hands ?
Bill