• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

J.H. Mace Company "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
In my attempt to assemble a complete list of Illinois Model 14-15's per the "Bunn Special Model 14-15 Production Chart, I came across an Illinois Bunn, 19 Jewel that I believe is cased in a "LOANER" case from J.H. Case company. 1924 era watch. Back of the case is inscribed "J.H. MACE COMPANY, UNION STATION, K.C. MO, 281.

I have researched some of the threads and have been able to find out more about these watches. My questions is........... does the fact that it is an original loaner only add an intrinsic value or some monetary value?? Thoughts please. Similar watch on EBAY link is below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Frauenhof's Watch Inspector Book Lists Mace in Kansas City, MO.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jesse H. Mace's business was around for a long time. I was trying to pin down when he moved to Union Station but I don't quite have that yet.

The image below is from 1958 & it has the business in Union Station.

In my research of watch inspectors I know I found him listed as an inspector for the Santa Fe Railroad in 1922.

He was born about 1881 in Missouri. I find him listed as a jeweler in the 1918 working at 108 E. 12th as a jeweler. In 1927 he was working at 1122 Grand Ave.

Union Station is show as being at 30 West Pershing Road.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thanks guys. Interesting stuff. The case has a number "281" on it. Must have been a loaner and that was their way of tracking it.

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Donald
If possible it would be nice to see some photos of the watch, I collect these & would enjoy the photos.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I found the following information on J.H. Mace that should answer your question about your loaner watch.

From David M Nicholson's book Santa Fe How it Governed its Timepieces Throughout the System.

In 1927, Santa Fe management determined that time had come when the much larger number of employees would have to be required to carry certified standard watches. This action resulted, in the establishment of a new an additional time service organization. As the use of certified watches was no longer confined to those employees operating the trains, and a much larger number of employees would have to be required to carry certified standard watches. The new branch became known as the Road and Station Time Service Department, and was headed by an Assistant General Watch Inspector and looked after agents, operators, towermen, roadmasters, section formen, water service formen, division linemen, and all employees using gasoline motor cars and having anything to do with train movement, signals, and inspection rules were included. An additional 4,485 standard watches were added to this time service department, bringing the total to 14,630.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
In 1939 R.D Montgomery passed away after a lengthy illness. On April 5, 1940 Arthur J Strobel became the General Watch and Clock Inspector. In the late summer of 1941, after a study by the Santa Fe management, the Roadway and Station Department in Kansas City, Missouri was no longer needed. So J.H. Mace's contract with the Santa Fe, as Assistant General Watch Inspector was terminated. Strobel Incorporated the Roadway and Station service into the Time Service Department in Topeka, Kansas.

This should answer your questions, I too would like to see some pictures of this interesting loaner pocket watch.

Larry.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Sorry to those of you who want to see pictures. It is tuff to get quality pictures due to the wear on the back of the case. You can read it all under a loop.it is difficult to show with any quality via a camera. Unfortunately, my first post with a link to a watch with the exact same nomenclature was deleted on a watch listed that had sold in March. I will try to get the right angle to show you the case!!