Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What type of Illinois should this dial go on? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Found this on a Bunn but it doesn't look like what I normally see. Is this one that should be broken up? Serial number on the Bunn is 3.41 million if I remember correctly. Thanks!

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Frank,
Your dial is what I have always referred to as the "half moon" dial, due to the shape of the five minute hash marks. The Illinois experts can give a better answer than I, but most of the ones I have seen were on some of the 17 to 21 jewel, adjusted to 3 positions movements that Illinois made in such large quantities. From the style of the numerals, somewhere in the art deco period would seem about right.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
like ed said.... unless they have been switched.....

JMHO...

posted
I have always liked that dial, Frank. Of course Ed and Terry are telling you right, we "usually" don't see these on the Bunns but as we all should know, one "could" order a watch from Illinois with any kind of dial on it they wanted. So it is hard to play authority here 85 years later about this or that "absolutely" not being original when this dial is within parameters for the watch and time period, i.e., it is 16 size, it is the arched font found after 1917, and it (let's hope) the right dial feet for a model 9. Of course many dials have been switched around through the years and they will continue to be I am sure but I will say that while the Bunn of this time period may not have been advertised with this dial, one or more may have been sent out or ordered with this dial. Illinois wanted to sell watches, do you think they said, NO!, you can't buy a Bunn Special with this dial!....I think they would have asked you how many dozen you wanted, ha! Again though, this is not the "normal" dial we expect to see on a railroad watch, but of course all of them were'nt used on the railroad now were they?
I say, if you like the dial , Frank, use it, it's your watch and I give you a thumbs up for good taste as I've always liked this dial myself, ha! Happy Hunting!

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
A BIG thanks to all responses! RR watches are not my area of expertise but I am so happy that there are other chapter members I can turn to for expert opinions. The dial feet do indeed match up as does everything else (well, maybe not the case, but that's a horse of a different color). I picked this 21j Bunn up at a local flea market for $125, broken staff and mainspring, very dirty. Even though I'm no RR watch expert I am IMHO very good at cleaning and fixing them and this one came out beautifully. I'm a big fan of the deco style and I'm glad to hear that it's at least a period correct dial. Thanks again Ed, Terry and Mike!

Best,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004