Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
While looking through my shoe box of watch's I found an Illinois Movement, 16S S/N3428731. I'm not familiar with Illinois watch's, and was wondering if anyone would know how they are graded, model numbers, etc. Thanks

Illinois

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Wayne,

The Illinois Encyclopedia reveals your 3428731 to be from a run of 1,000 in 1919 which are designated as follows...

16-size, pendant-set, open-faced, 17-jewels, model 7 and grade 304

Better it be in your shoe box than in your shoe!

Hope the information helps, what's the dial like?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Lindell
That was exactly the information I was looking for - the dial must be under another size 13 shoe - but it appears that one screw is gold color, and the rest are polished - was it a practice by the Illinois Watch Co to use gold colored screws? Thanks again.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
In the grade discussion of the Illinois book, Meggers indicated this grade was availble with either polished guilded screws or nickel oval headed screws...

posted
Its a 16 Size 15Jewel, SN2618454. Would anyone be willing to provide me with the date of manufacturer, grade, model, etc? Thanks

posted
sure,
for starters...

size 16
grade 603
model 7
Pendant set
15 jewels
circa 1914

does this seem to match the watch? Meggers had not checked off this run in the 1985 book...

can give more on grade 603 later.....

posted
Terry,
Thanks for the information, I am very much a newbee in the Illinois Watch field. This one has the gold colored screws:

Illinois

posted
Still a nice looking movement..

Grade 603....

Medium grade unadjusted movement...

Looks like Meggers had not seen guilded screws, as he mentions polished oval head or flat screws.. they do set the movement off though...

Open face production about 4900 movements...1912-1920
there were two train bridges mentioned... yours [a 3 finger] and and the 'two finger'[for lack of a better word]..... the train wheels are described as round spoke gold plated...

many three finger versions were private label marked Stewart