Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Damaged porcelain dial question. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks
I have a damaged Double sunk Montgomery dial.
The pictures do not show the cracks but there is a significant one from around the 5 up to the 1 position. I am fearfull that a piece of porcelain might come off so my idea is to use some UV clear adhesive along the crack, allowing it to soak right in, wipe away the surplus and then place in sunlight to harden off.
What do people think of this idea?.

Thanks. Steve from UK.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
posted
another one

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Stephen,

I don't think it's necessary since the enamel, even though cracked, is fused to the copper base and not likely to flake off. The only times I have ever seen lost enamel is when the the copper has been deformed from behind. I would just clean it up and don't worry about losing anything.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Stephen,

I agree with William completely and I too would urge you to not introduce any form of adhesive or sealer. Those slight "cracks" or "hairlines you see were caused by forcing the dial when it was removed or over-tightening when re-installing. Remember these watches were serviced every few years during daily use and all it takes is one misstep in the process.

This dial should be carefully cleaned much as you would hand-wash fine china, use of a soft-bristle tooth-brush is often helpful. If you like, the little chips can be filled-in with white porcelain-enamel touch-up or ladies nail polish of the exact shade. After twenty-four hours minimum drying time "shave" off the excess with a single-edged razor blade.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here is an A.N. Anderson dial, as you can see it looked extremely bad, some spots the chips were missing. I cleaned it by using a soft bristle toothbrush and joy, rinse it and soaked it in a solution of bleach and water or you can use polident with water. I filled the missing chips with white acrylic titanium paint (for artists) and yes if you look closely you can see the repairs and if you get a magnifier you can see where the hairline cracks but it looks a heck of a lot better. I would not spray anything on it, the dial itself would look great with just a typical dial cleaning.

Before

After

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post. I think all I will do is maybe try some white enamel porcelain touch up or even better still, perhaps just leave it alone for the next owner. As you may have guessed I am a novice, but I do also collect English silver coins and those in particular should be left well alone as well.
This is a really excellent site, full of very decent people who are willing to part with such crucial information. I hope that one day I may be able to inpart something for the site as well
Thank you very much.......Steve.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
To use your own words, Steve....
_________________________________________________________________________________
This is a really excellent site, full of very decent people who are willing to part with such crucial information.
I hope that one day I may be able to inpart something for the site as well
_________________________________________________________________________________
Un-Quote

Join, Pay Dues for the Internet Horology Club Here

Join, Pay Dues and get the new "Complete Guide to Watches" Here

I noticed you registered in May of last year and have visited us a number of times....why not join with us and support the club in a meaningful way, the dues are only $12.00 US per year and when you think about it that is less than a cup of coffee a month....

At any rate, we are glad that you stopped by and visited with us and let us know how you make out with the dial....

Top of the morning to you....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Thanks Jerry, all paid up now and worth every penny (cent).........thanks.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Congratulations and Welcome on board Steve, you made a great decision by joining with us....

You now have full access to all the forums and can participate in our auctions and you will find the entire site much more interesting and entertaining as well....

Again, Welcome on board....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I'll second that Jerry. We're glad to have you among us Stephen!Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thank you all very much indeed. I love American Pocket watches, they have everything including style and a certain uniqueness which is everything.
The "Railroad" models are a particular favourite of mine and over here in the UK they are as rare as hens teeth to buy and when you do see one, they are well over priced.
I have been very successful on Ebay, but the only down side is Import duty at 20% of the purchase price and a "Special handling fee" by our postal people which is around £10.
I have seven decent watches now, One Illinois Bunn special, two 21 jewel model 478 Elgins, two hamilton 992s and two 23 Jewel Waltham Vanguards.......all working with no hairlines at all!.
Thank you all again for your very warm welcome. From dear old Blighty across the Atlantic!!........Steve.