Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Getty Gr 175,6,7? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So I was wandering around eBay, and this Illinois Getty pops up. I am a sucker for "orphaned Getty's" even like this so I win it for $39.00.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The seller listed it as s/n 1867779, BUT it is really 1367779, and missing a roller jewel pin, but altogether OK. So I put in another roller Jewel pin, and it runs. I dig out a Hunter case and instell it in that with a replacement second hand and start researching the serial number . . . The blue bible rates it as a Grade 175, BUT Ehrhardt's last 1996(?) edition calls it a 177! Eek. I look at the descriptions and the movement more carefully and it looks more like a 176. Anybody? (btw, tomorrow this is my "homework cleanup and make pretty project Big Grin)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Another movement picture

posted
Love that case, Dave - anything with engraved scenery.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
David nice Illinois getty you did good work on it here is the only one I own.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
See!

See that!

That's what happens when you can repair your own watch!!!!

Makes me crazy!

$39.00 for a watch that would cost anyone else a bundle!

OK I feel better now.

David, Beautiful watch. All I could figure out is that it's a model 5 (form the list) and please tell me how you know it's a 175,176 or a 177. The book doesn't mention anything about it other than showing that some are that number with no reference.

And they are all listed at STARTING at OVER $300!!!

What a deal!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sheila, To answer your question, when you look up this serial number in Meggers/Ehrhardt, you see this . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
. . . then you go to the page describing the movement of that listed grade and this is the whole page. (I must add that after careful study, I think this is an early Grade 175.)

posted
David what copy do you have I got the 1990 one called American pocket watches I still use it today it was the first watch book I ever bought but it's a little differnt than the one you are using.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Its the blue one in the middle. This was sent to me a couple years ago by Sherry Lee Ehrhardt with her best wishes, it was her late Father's copy. The other copy I have at the office is over 500 pages and is a 1995 (or so) compilation he did of all kinds of stuff.

posted
I got the gold colored one in your photo does the heart of american press still sell them.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Sadly the Heart of America press disbanded after the untimely demise of Mr. Ehrhardt about a decade or so ago. Since then all of his copyrights were sold or transferred to another person who has yet to re-publish them.

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Interestingly, one can still find these great books. Smile Here is one I picked up this last Thursday.
An original copy, not the photocopy with the spiral binder.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006