Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 912 Digital Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

I was wondering how the Hamilton 912 digital pocket watches were cased? The watch itself is a non standard size and shape kind of like a tear drop shape. I have found one I think I want pick up and it is in a Wadsworth case. Could this Wadsworth gold filled case be original to the watch? Thank you in advance for all of your help.
John

IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Most of the ones I have seen are in the tear drop Wadsworth case (white gold filled).

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
John, my secometer is housed in a Wadsworth case. It is a signed Hamilton and is round, not teardrop. I believe that most of the secometers, were housed in the marked Hamilton cases.. Maybe one of the Hami experts could shed some light.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I repaired one of these a couple of months ago and had the dial,s refinished ,it was in a wadsworth pear shaper white gold filled case Smile.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

My understanding is also that Hamilton 12-size watches were all factory cased and they would not fit a standard 12-size case. They were often in Wadsworth cases and I expect the case in question to also bear clear Hamilton markings. One way to establish originality of your watch would be to to check the case design against those appearing in factory catalogs.

The Hamilton "Secometer Dial" is most often found on the Grade 912 (although it could have conceivably been ordered separately and placed on any grade of Hamilton watch, the 912 was low cost so most likely to be dress-up for showing off) and in 1930 it was promoted to retailers as follows...

"The Secometer Dial adds unusual sales stimulus to sales opportunities and is obtainable on any 912 model at an extra cost of $5.00 to the consumer. This new dial is an innovation in the watch industry and gives unique pocket watch convenience as well as distinctive style."

The dial was further referenced in Hamilton catalogs as "Secometer Dial No. 55 - Extra charge $5.00" and that usually appeared prominently in the Grade 912 sales listings. One 1930 offering shows no less than 8 distinctively different case styles for the Grade 912 and of course all were available with the "Secometer" dial.

Interestingly in the 1931 Hamilton Time Book (printed in 1930) which was issued to Railroad Watch users the advertisement you see below appeared. Clearly they suggested wearing both a pocket and a wristwatch, something many of us do today! The "Farragut" reference is to the style name of the pocket watch case shown.

Think for a moment about how much $5.00 meant in 1930 money!

"Secometer" in 1931 advertising...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you all so much for the information. I really enjoy learning about these things.