• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another one with name under the dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
When I saw John,s post, it reminded me of one of my watches. I have an early Elgin SN 25,295, which puts the mfg date at around 1868. Scratched onto the pillar plate under the dial is "W. B. Wells, Greenville, 12/2/72". So far I have come up empty on this. I am assuming that it is Greenville, PA as I bought the watch in Western PA.

Could this have been the owner or was it the jeweler who sold the watch? Was this the sold date or was it a repair date?

Lindell, You once told me that you lived in Greenville, PA. Does the name W. B. Wells sound familiar?

Tom

posted
Col. Townsend used to mark his 'stuff'... this is a 16s Hamilton DS HA dial....

posted
Now, any guesses "why" he kept it? Wink

IHC Life Member
posted
Dots and triple dots at the 12?

Larry

Posts: 661 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 07, 2002
posted
that didn't take long eh? Big Grin

posted
Terry,

Any ideas as to the significance of the 3 dots at the 12 mark?

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jerry doesn't miss much!

Tom,

The name "W. B. Wells" rings no bells with me, but I'd wager he may have either owned or serviced the watch in 1972 and marked it along the lines of what Terry was pointing to. There is a W. B. Wells in Pittsburgh who is a manufacturers' representative.

Checking in Greenville, Pa this morning, two "Wells" in the phone book. One knew nothing of "W. B. Wells" and the other was a disconnected number. I then spoke with Bill Philson at the Mercer County Historical Society. With his help we'll be doing more research on your Mr. Wells and his involvement in the Greenville area. We'll see what if anything turns up.

Along those lines, not long ago I bought a 21-Jewel Ball-Hamilton ORC Brotherhood number 644083 which had been in the Jim Hernick collection. The watch had everything but an ORC dial. Previously I'd acquired a dial I deemed to be correct for it. When I was about to install the dial on the movement something caught my eye. Faintly inscribed on the back of the dial I'd found on an ordinary 17-Jewel Ball ORRS were a series of numbers. Closer examination revealed "644083" on the back of that dial.

How long they'd been apart is anyone's guess but it sure is nice to see that dial reunited with the movement.

Small world, isn't it?

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
That is a good question Rob,

I feel it was more of a factory 'blooper' than a mark of significance.... but just don't know.. Main reason I obtained it was for the signature on the back.... It was only after receiving it that I noticed the marking on the front... and said...

"thats why he kept it".... "DOH!"

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

These unusual variations in dials show up often enough that I wonder... could it be those painting the dials did one a little differently every now and then just to break the monotony?

It had to be awfully boring work!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell and others, Thanks for your input. For the date under the dial, I believe that the 12/2/72 is for 1872 and not 1972. I could be wrong.

Tom