Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Getty with Private label "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Here is a 16 sz Illinois Getty I just picked up with a Private label of B.M. Broer of Toledo , Ohio.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement is marked Adjusted, 17 Jewels, Safety Pinion, Serial # 1365488. The case is marked Dueber Special with some gold worn off.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Like those Getty's!

It is probable Bernhard H. Broer of Toledo. He was born about 1839 in Germany.

In the Toledo City Directory (1878) image below there is also a William H. Broer list also as a jeweler. He is probably Bernhard's brother, he was born about Aug. 1850 also in Germany.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is the 1905 Toledo Directory

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eugene, You have struck gold! Your S/N 1365488 is from only ONE PRODUCTION RUN OF 100 Gettys in 1897 from 1365401-1365500. Illinois listed them as "Grade 178", Adjusted to Temperature, SIX Positions Eek , and Isochronism, 17 Ruby Jewels in Gold settings, Polished Gold Rounded Spoke Train wheels, and Gold Balance screws!

What makes yours extra scarce is the fact that the dial is signed B.M. Broer was a Railroad Watch Inspector and the movement has no sig., only a serial number.

An Illinois 16 size Grade 178 is already too scarce to even make mention in the Price Guide! So being one of only 100 ever made and ALSO PL signed makes your Grade 178 a 5 Star + + + watch that qualifies as the FLAGSHIP of any Pocket watch collection!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
William H. Broer, who was Bernard's brother & worked in the store, was also a watch inspector for the Wabash Railroad.

Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
Thats Great. Big Grin The 178 grade should of been a railroad grade watch. Do you think the hands are correct. I can't recall an open moon on any RR grade. There are no other case screw marks in the case. But does have some brass on the back of the watch.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Eugene, this watch (and the other 99 of it's "Brethren") would qualify for Railroad use all the way to the "end" of mechanical Railroad watch specs in the 1970's. With the scripted dial the Hands match the dial style and could be original (period at least). Keep it the way you got it.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Eugene

If possible can you post a closeup of the dial signature?

I am curious if it is an "M" or a "H" for the middle name, since both you & David say it is an "M" I am curious if I have the right person of not. I might need to edit or delete my posts so I don't post the wrong information.

Thanks
Tom

IHC Life Member
posted
I looked it over. And you are correct. I'm sure David was just quoting my Spelling of the dial.

I think I'll keep the hands on as David mentions. The dial is not bold so changing the hands would probley be a mistake.

Thank you for all the info.