Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My latest addition "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi fellow watch collectors,

I havent posted a watch here in a bit. Mainly because I collect more common items, and my buying power is low. But the Lord smiled on me this week. He let a Illinois Sangamo fall into my hands for just under $200. It is a 21 jewel getty Smile Serial 1811996.
While it needs to be cleaned up a lot, it ticks. I will post pictures of the finished watch after a good bath. But here are a few pictures as it walked in the door. Sorry they are of such poor quality.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Kudos Jim

I just finished reading the thread on Getty design and I was much impressed. This is a beautiful example, look forward to seeing her after Saturday night bath ready for church...

God Bless...

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Good pick Jim, congrats! Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
a classic whom his luck continues and who comes more good pocket watchs, congratulations.

Posts: 17 | Location: São Paulo in Brazil | Registered: November 21, 2010
posted
Thanks Gary, Ed and Renato,

Gary, I really like getty's, this is my 5th one and I will probably add a few more over time. They can be had in 15 and 17 jewel versions for real reasonable prices.
They just look so unusual and have a variety of demasking on them. But to get a running Sangamo for under $200 is a rarity. I think it had to do with the horrible pictures the auction had and it was listed as not running. While it doesnt run for long when wound, it does run. A good coa will get it back in proper order as some of my other getty's did the same when I got them.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Member 1016
posted
Looks like a nice find Jim. I have a few Gettys and agree, nice watch, good buy. Keep looking

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1508
posted
Beautiful Jim! Smile

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
posted
I guess he did smile on you Jim.

There's an old Vietnamese proverb that roughly translates into English as...... "May the weight of ten thousand fortunes fall on your head"

Looks like your head will be sore for a day or so.

Well done, very nice watch.

Bud

quote:
But the Lord smiled on me this week.

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
I said I would post a few pic's of the watch once I had serviced it. A nice bath, a case cleaning ( to remove the "pitna" or dirt Smile), a mainspring from David Abbe and a little oil in the right places works wonders.

posted
pic2

posted
pic3

posted
Great work Jim!

I just bought a running Sangamo for under $200 as well, but not as original (I don't think)...check it out and tell me what you think...I posted it on 185 yesterday.

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jim, that is Exceptional! The rugged and unusual 16s swing case adds the "extra" to a fine, rare (1 0f 2400 made) and unique Getty Sangamo. Congratulations!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
The case was something that was a plus for me David. I prefer silver colored cases and silveroid ones at that. They are near indestructible. I have another Illinios 16s 21j I am working on with a Illionis catch case co nickel case that will look real nice next to this.
But only 1 of 2400 made? Wow its just become a little bit extra of a prize.