Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

12 Size 19 Jewel Elgin Grade 193...Restored "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Bought this as dial and movement, someone stole the gold case off this beauty, found a nice period style 12S Star Case (not as easy to do as you'd think) and returned it to former glory.
I have seen a BW Raymond like this before many years ago but never the unmarked version. This kind of stuff excites me as much or more than anything. If you've ever wondered why people collect 12 Size watches this will answer that question.

A miniature 18S 19J BW Raymond complete with jeweled barrel and fully adjusted in 12 Size!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3053 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Great work .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Beautiful little watch! Reminds of my little 21j Illinois 409.

Some of these 12s watches were REALLY top end offerings from the watch companies, trying to draw in buyers from businessmen who wanted only top quality pieces in their vest pockets.

The quality just glittered under the hood when the companies went 'all out' for these folks!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3832 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Nice watch! Grade 189/193 movements were expensive high-grade ones, selling for $49 (movement only) when they were made a little over $100 years ago. I have a Grade 189, the hunter version, in a pretty J. Boss YGF case. It has the same hands as Tom's watch, but a fancy dial. At least 95% of the watches I collect are in solid gold or platinum cases, but I have made an exception for my Grade 189. It's just too nice to sell to quell my YGF-phobia.

[Tom, how did you post multiple photos in a single message?]

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Very nice and I also want to know about the multiple images in the same post.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
I agree, a very pretty watch! I have a fondness for the 12S Elgin safety barrels. They are cool looking. Elgin made them in 7, 15, and 17 jewels as well as the 19 and higher jewels.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010

posted
Tom,

Very interesting that the movement would have a SS dial and the matching thin hands fronting a high jeweled movement. Kind of like a sleeper, eh?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
Here is my BWR marked 193, I have the hunter version also but these are great little movements

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Iwondered about the dial and hands but Claudes above pretty much verifies that.

Donald and Ethan; I have my own server which those images are "stored" or parked on...I use CUTEFTP 5.0 and transfer them up to files then "call them up" with the URL (uniform or universal resource locator)

To simplify you'll have to have a place to put your pictures to do this, I think there may be a way to do it here but you'll have to ask Ed Dr Debbie or Lindell how it's done.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3053 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
A beautiful piece, Tom.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A great piece, 1 of 10,000 total made. The very important distinction with these very high grade Elgin 19X series is Elgin's very early (1896)commitment to the considerable expense of creating tooling to manufacture a ultra hi-grade 12 size watch. These were the decisions that brought Elgin to be the sales leader uf USA watch sales with the freedom (at will) to turn this model series into their highest grades (Lord Elgin) sooner than the "competition".

Ergo, you have restored another important "piece of history" Tom. Congratulations!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Our system is not set up to do multiple images in one topic.

Here are some previous topics that address this question...

Lindell V. Riddle's July 7, 2008 post

Deborah L. Irvine's April 4, 2010 post

Images no longer available (scroll up) and then here is Ed Parsons comment:

quote:

October 30, 2011

There's little value to this topic without the pictures.

That's why for the long term, it's best to upload your pictures here rather than using a 3rd party hosting service like photobucket.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5267 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
I am not sure what the breakdown is on the ones that were unmarked and the ones that were marked BWR but I don't think they came with a DS dial but the font on the dial was different that other lower 12s Elgins. I think both dials are correct and the font style is a lot like what is found on the 162/155 21j 3 finger bridge 16s Elgins.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009