Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Model 3 Extra Thin Model Names "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
I’m trying to complete a project that I have been working on for several years.
I have been researching the extra thin models, The A. Lincoln 19 jeweled model and the Marquis/Marquis Autocrat 17 Jeweled models.

The conclusion of the project is the names that these watches where sold under.
Examples, Eton, Oxford, Cambridge, Barrister, Cushion, Acorn, Pioneer, Trustee, Dictator, and Dean are names that are associated with these models.

In catalogues, circulars and advertisements for the watches, seem to conflict regarding some names of the watches.

If you have any info that would help my project to come to a conclusion, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jim Carroll

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jim,

Here's an Illinois "A. Lincoln" like you described, a 19-Jewel with Jeweled Motor Barrel on a great looking movement. This one is housed in a marked "Illinois Watch Company - Springfield" solid-white-gold case and fronts a textured dial. If any further information or images would be of help just say so.

Illinois "A. Lincoln" number 4882434 from 1927 production...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Jim,

The model names you listed are for case styles. These do not seem to be as closely controlled as grade names, so I would not be surprised to see quite a bit of variation in the advertising copy.

I believe the dials styles were also named separately.

Are you only interested in the model 3 Extra Thin?

I have been mostly interested in the model 1XT, 2XT and the 13 size, which are closely related.

The grades 522, 525 and 527 are all 3XT

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Lindell,
That’s a very nice movement that you have posted thanks.

Tom,
That’s probably correct about the case shape or design naming most the models, I believe the metal dials where numbered not named, and the figure type had a separate number also.
You could buy a new metal dial e.g. dial No. 47 with figures No. 250.
Model 3 extra thin models are enough for me at the moment as I don’t see many 1XT, 2XT or 13 sizes.

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Here is a pic of the dial of my Abe Lincoln model 3. The movement is the same as Lindell's, but a slightly earlier SN.

Tom