Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rodico helper in Full Plate Assembly "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have made a few quick references to the many more uses of Rodico besides just Dial plate and watch plate wiping.

The single most valuable "tool" I use Rodico for is to make final assembly of full plate movements much easier. I use a small "string" of Rodico to hold the "short end" of the Pallet into it's top plate pivot . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then I can assemble the whole train to the Pillar Plate . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then put the top plate carefully down bringing it into registration with the pillar plate by engaging the two pillars adjacent to the Motor Barrel area. That way I can gently "rock the plate down so ALL of the pinions are close to their pivots . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Then I insert the two Pillar Plate screws either side of the train pivots and screw them in less than 1 turn to keep plate registration, gently pull out the Rodico string and reach in with my "#5's" to begin setting the pinions . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While applying very light (less than 1 ounce) pressure to the top plate . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
When all Wheels and the Pallet Fork are in place, I carefully screw the plate down and check for freedom of wheel and fork "shake" . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Because some of these movements are soo fine, they "start on a whisper" of power. Cool

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I know this is different from the "recommended way" of putting all the wheels and pallet fork on the top plate, but I can guarantee that this way (because of Rodico as a "helper") you DO NOT break pivots, and you DO put the plates together with much greater peace of mind.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
You showed us this before and I used it on my very first 18s reassemble and it worked like a dream. I have been using this method of holding the pallet and fork since with no problems.
Thanks a million on a great tip!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks for trying it Ed, I thought it was time to go into more detail, expecially with Mary Ann goin to school and all. This is the Elgin "all dressed"!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This has been waiting over 100 years to "ham it up"! What a nice running, clean and pretty "Ham" it still is!

posted
Thanks Dave for the tip..I will try it this afternoon. This is what has kept me from working on the full plate movements as I have had "bad" experiences trying to keep everything in place.
I love these posts of yours with the highly illustrative pictures.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Dave - thank you very much for posting this!!! Big Grin This will be of enormous help to me as most of my collection are full plates. Rodico is not on the list of required tools for the class, but it should be! I still have a few things to get and this will be one. I greatly appreciate your pictorial about assembling a full plate! Great pictures and nifty tips. Thanks!

PS - is it permissible for me to print out this thread?

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
YES, print it please! Also, remember my little "suggestion", I brought my laptop and my digit camera and took some "before" pictures as it was a great help seeing where the parts came from "before", so I could put them back the same "after" Razz. Some actual pictures from my class collaged below . . . (I only use that movement holder now to hold waltham jeweled motor barrels when I unscrew the 2-piece Barrel Arbor)