Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Silverine or Silveroid cases "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,
Is Silverine or silveroid an alloy, or a plate of some sort ? I guess what my question really is, could you polish off the luster on these, or is there any fear of that ? They shine up so well, I just do not want to have it go down to some base metal.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
Hey Bill, Those cases are solid. You can polish all you want. I have polished out some deep scratches,and gouges.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
By all means !! Hammer out a dent or ping/ding [ BUT BY ALL MEANS ON ANY CASE OF ANY/ALL MATERIALS ONLY USE WOODEN DAPPLERS AND NOT METAL ONES, NEVER USE METAL TO METAL TO STRAIGHTEN OUT DENTS !!! ] or smooth out a deep cut and shine with no fear as they are a nickle alloy case. They will tone back down in time to a slightly duller nickle haze. They are the same metal all the way through. And they are exceptionally hardy Smile

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Bill,

I agree with everything Cecil and Buster said above, the cases marked as "Silverine" or "Silveroid" and other similar-sounding names are solid nickel alloy and easily reconditioned or repaired. I have often used the same "wet-or-dry" sandpaper designed to sand out automotive finishes on these case with excellent results.

They are arguably the toughest watch cases ever made.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Gotta love these cases! When dealing with hundred yr old movements, these cases were real survivors. Maybe solid gold or silver would last as long but for the money these are the greatest!

happy hunting,

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Thanks for all the info on these, I knew they were really hardy cases, but did not know for sure why.
Thanks again,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Bill the only case you need worry about rubbing anything off of is a Gold Filled, Gold Rolled or Gold Plated case....

All the rest of them are solid metal, top to bottom....ie, Solid Gold, Sterling, Coin, or in some cases .800 (Swiss) silver, and Nickle alloy, commonly called Silveroid, Silverine or Nickle Silver and you need not worry polishing down to base metal because what you are polishing is the base metal of that particular case....

I also agree with those that say the Nickle alloy is the toughest material cases were made of....harder to dent and harder to scratch....

Polish away my friend....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
They might not be that common in the US, but in Europe they are. I´m referring to the nickel plated brass cases. They can of course be worn down to the brass just like the gold filled ones. They are most often marked just "Metal".
Regards, Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
You must be referring to base metal cases Krister. They are in the US in great numbers also . But Silverode or Silverine are marked with those names on the case back.
I actually prefer Silverode or Silverine over gold plated. I like silver as a color over yellow gold. That they cant be worn through is a benefit. They also stay shiny longer than true silver.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Jim.
If base metal cases are nickel over brass, then it´s the same. I prefer solid cases regardless of the material, because those can almost always be refinished without worrying about finding brass when you are nearly done buffing.
Regards, Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009