WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What model hamilton's came with four footed dials? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone tell me what model hamilton's came with four footed dials or was it a date thing? thanx!

Eric Kroon

Proud IHC Member 183

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
It was a date thing on the 16s watches. I believe the switch was around 1907.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Eric,

I could be wrong but I think it is 16sz Hamiltons use this dial until about serial # 850,000...

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Eric,

Aaron is right about the "date thing" as it was a basic a matter of changeover. John is close, but the four-footed dials were in fact used a little later than he thought. Portions of the following information was garnered from a chart published by Ed Ueberall and Kent Singer in their popular Railroader's Corner June 2001 Bulletin on page 359...

According to the chart Hamilton 992 examples with four-footed dials show up through 872000 and apparently by 886001 Hamilton was using a three-footed dial. The Hamilton records we have posted on IHC were compiled by John F. Gelson, former president of Hamilton reveals 1912 to be the year this occurred and although the chart referenced above reports the year as 1910 I would defer to Mr. Gelson's information on that point.

My research has shown that among RR Grade movements, there were three runs of both 992 and 993 as well as a run of 952 as well as some lesser grades produced in between 872000 and 886001 which of course muddy up the water a bit. The run of 952 movements consisted of 300 and they were 875001-875300 inclusive finished in 1913-14 according to Gelson. Did those use four-footed dials?

Just exactly what movements received the last production four-footed dials and what they were at this point I simply do not know. What I indicated above is what I have on this subject. However, I'll bet someone else who has looked into this more deeply than I will weigh-in with additional information. You would think Hamilton would have at some point listed exactly what serial numbers were involved, perhaps they did.

By the way, contrary to what many collectors believe the changeover from two screws in the crown wheel was somewhat later than is commonly believed. According to the aforementioned chart, Hamilton 992 models were built with two crown-wheel screws through at least number 1066000 and by 1073001 the 992 models were being offered with a single screw in the crown wheel.

As we often encounter in so many areas of Horology, every time we can answer one question, that answer immediately raises another question or two. We may eventually find the definitive answers as more information surfaces.

So to recap, the four-footed dials in RR Grade Hamiltons were used through at least number 872000 and probably a bit longer, but by 886001 they were part of history.

Hope this helps get us started.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Good answer!

Observed examples [that i remembered to write down]

877359 four foot
882478 three foot

both 992 movements.

there are also two runs of grade 975, a run of 993, and also a run of 974 movements in addition to the 952 mentioned above.... have no recorded data for these.

IHC Member 229
posted
What interests me more about this discussion is........? WHY go to four feet?...3 seem to do the job well...what were they thinking about? You don't see the feet....better Dial retention?..

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
posted
To keep in prospective.....

the original design for the 16s hamilton movement is what contained the four footed dial. This is pre-1900 design....

Why?, sorry do not know, and have seen no old research material to indicate the reason.

The change was to three feet, so someone must has had a reason.......

financial? 1 less foot X hundreds of thousands of movements?

maybe so....