• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball-Aurora 18 Size question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Is there any member that has one? Would like to see a picture of dial and movement.

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
posted
Aloha Ernest, Here are the pictures you asked for. Note that the movement and dial are "Ball" marked accordingly. These Aurora Balls are quite rare. Mahalo, Fred

Aurara Ball pic 1

Posts: 106 | Location: Honolulu, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: June 12, 2016
posted
Aurora Pic 2

posted
Aurora Ball pic 3

posted
Aurora Ball pic 4

posted
Thanks Fred. That is a gorgeous timepiece!

Posts: 785 | Location: Tijeras, New Mexico USA | Registered: July 12, 2005
IHC Member 525
posted
I`m a Waltham man myself, but I have to say Fred, that is a beautiful watch.

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
posted
Hmmm , I had forgot that aurora made a few . I would call that a dresser queen !

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
Aloha and thank you very much, Mahalo, Fred

IHC Member 1613
posted
Now that’s a nice watch...Really beautiful...Gary

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
I'm presuming this is a typical private label type watch made for Ball the jeweler as opposed to Ball the RR watch inspector, since it is not railroad oriented. Interesting how this Aurora movement resembles the 18s Illinois 3rd model, right down to the 5th pinion.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Member 1555
posted
These were Railroad grade William, of this "Grade 7" there was approximately only 350 made, 250 produced of the "Adjusted" marked ones and 100 of non-marked "Adjusted". Of the ones marked for Webb C Ball, probably very fewSmileIt is at most times very hard to pin down production dates for these Aurora's but this one probably produced somewhere around 1888. A very fine piece indeed Fred, thanks for showing itSmile

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Aloha Bila and thank you for your post on the Aurora Ball herein under discussion. May I please suggest that this serial number (74,307) designates this watch as a Grade 113, Open Face, with a production of 420 watches. Please correct me if I am in error.I have not been able to determine how many of the 420 watches in the production were Aurora Balls. My understanding is that too few have surfaced to estimate how many.
Mahalo, Fred

IHC Member 1555
posted
You are correct Fred re the grade number and the production total. I have miss-read the research book I have here, thank you for the correction.

Also from the first run of the Grade 113 of a total of 3 runs making up the 420 total. Still a Railroad Grade watch and would have been accepted on most Roads. A great example as wellSmile

Posts: 2264 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011