Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

George Washington Movement-Illinois confirmed "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good morning:
If possible, I need some help identifying this old movement. Any ideas?
Many thanks

Grant Perry

Geo

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Hi Grant,
That is an 18s, Illinois, model 1.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thank you sir! It's not mine. It belongs to a friend (fellow collector). Any idea on age and/or value? It does have a case and dial, but I have only seen the pic above.
Thanks again!
Grant

Grant Perry

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Grant,
It is circa 1879 and is listed in "The Beginning to End" book by Ehrhardt as;

18s - 11j - HG1K - U - "Columbia"......$50-$75
and
18s - 11j - HG1K - U - "2".............$50-$75

These values were for movements only, but they were from 1987. So are probably valued at a bit more now.

Smile

Also value, as always, depends on condition and originality.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Grant,

The price guide lists it as a 2 star watch... A harder to find movement....

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I've seen other similar "Geo. Washington" marked Illinois movements but with the letters "P&K" on the barrel bridge, and also with no letters but a floral pattern on the barrel bridge. I think this might be the first I've seen with the "L & Ke" lettering (if I am reading correctly) ... but either way I do not know the significance of any of these barrel bridge variations.

The other versions of the "Geo. Washington" I have seen in models 1, 2, and 3 and all apparently 11 jewel.

For value my opinion would be that since it is a familiar and interesting early marking that maybe a $75 to $100 premium over the value of an equivalent condition watch with typical Illinois factory markings would be in order ... but again that is just my thoughts (which apparently the Shugart guide doesn't share Wink).

Fred

p.s. When you can check I'd be interested if there are any different dial markings, or if it is just an "Illinois Watch Co." signed dial.

posted
Anyone know what P & KE means?

As an old Peoria Boy, I seem to remember a line being mentioned in my early research.. Peoria, Quicny and Keokuk or something... It "may" have been the Peoria and Keokuk. I knowit was a TP&W deal..

Anyone know?

Jeff Hess

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good afternoon:
Thanks for all the info. It is much appreciated. I'll ask my friend to take a pic of the dial tonight and post it; however I don't believe that it is marked as he wasn't sure who the maker was.
Thank again,
gp

Grant Perry

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Shugart's book says it's 3 star and $250, 300, 550
11J HC. Pg 276. Is this the same watch as the one above? Just checking.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
A 3 star watch at $250.00? Just shows you how far off the book is on their prices.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Illinois Expert
posted
Grant,

As others have already noted, this is an 18-size Grade "2" Model 1 (KW/KS) with 11 jewels, and dates from December 1879. The Illinois Watch Co. made a total of 79, 050 watches in this configuration, although obviously not all with the "Private Label" marking of "Geo. Washington".

Whereas other "Geo. Washington" markings are seen with the initials "P. & K.", this version ("P. & Ke.") is less common, but not so significant as to increase the value very much.

Unless, of course, a collector happens to be particularly interested watches denoting Peoria (IL) or Keokuk (IA). But I still wouldn't expect the value to increase that much, even with a PL dial to match. Any suggestion that it's a "3-star" watch commanding upwards of $250 may be only wishful thinking.

Russ

Posts: 20 | Location: Urbana, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: May 23, 2004