Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Norfolk & Western Authenticity? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This very nice swing case late model (1.4m S/N) Hamilton 940 just came in . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
With a great running mvt. 0.8 ms beat error and 17999 - 18001 pendant up

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
and this engraved on the case back! Is this for real a Norfolk and Western RR property engraving?

posted
Hi David,
You've probably looked this up already but the N&W Rwy was a long lived line. I live near it's HQ city of Roanoke, VA and the old shops etc. are still in use by Norfolk Southern. I don't see why this case can't be authentic since the N&W first took that name in the early 1880s and kept it till 1982. It was also the last railroad to switch from steam. However, I'm not expert so don't put much stock in my word. O. Winston Link's famous railway photography was done with N&W sponsorship.

Posts: 94 | Location: Collinsville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thanks, I have sent an inquiry about this to the Norfolk Wewstern Historical group who offers assistance with such things. I hope to hear from them sometime soon.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The N & W said this was added by some other than the RR.

posted
Really? I wonder how they could be so sure. Compared it to other examples? Would be interesting to see how they deduced it.

Posts: 94 | Location: Collinsville, Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Because they were there when it did'nt happen? Big Grin The watch is so nice, that I have little concern wbout N&W authenticity.