Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private Label Joseph Welf & Sons "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 638
posted
I was wondering if anybody could identify and possibly date this 0s movement for me. I looked through my rather limited resources without success.
Thanks in advance!
Mike

Posts: 166 | Location: Northeastern Ohio USA | Registered: July 21, 2005
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
From the few ads I have seen, I would place this watch as Omega/Regina. Regina was a division or brand mark that Omega used for mid and low grade private label watches.

I just acquired a similar private label F. McIntyre, So. McAlester, I.T.

The McIntyre is a closed ebauche with only one supplemental bridge, but the train layout is the same as is the damaskeening pattern.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 638
posted
Tom,

Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. Any idea on an approximate date. There are no serial numbers given in the description. I also know that Omega was not very good with keeping track of serial numbers.

Mike

IHC Member 638
posted
Tom,

I did see a serial number listed...#616068

Also, was the private label insription on the movement done at the factory or at the jeweler?

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I don't know of any dating system for these watches, but I would guess that yours is around 1910 to 1915. My example is a little earlier around 1895 to 1905.

I think the engraving was likely done at the time of manufacture since that was the easiest. However, that required the jobber to accumulate a number of orders and send them to the manufacturer in batches. It is also possible that the watches were engraved by the jobbers. The fact that the engraving is a little lighter than with American private labels would argue in favor of it being done by the jobber perhaps.

Omega watches, as opposed to Omega/Regina generally have engraving of the same quality as American railroad watches whether or not they are private labelled.

By the way my mind is starting to fade on me with too many irons in the fire. My watch has 3 supplemental bridges. It has the center wheel on the barrel bridge and the winding wheels are not exposed. I will be taking some pictures of it later today and will post them then. Its SN is 1283255, which is a little confusing when compared to yours. Fred McIntyre left So. McAlester in 1905, so my watch is unlikely to be later than that.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 638
posted
Thanks again Tom. Looking forward to seeing your Omega/Regina.