Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 4992B "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I joined Chapter 185 yesterday and have really enjoyed my conversations with Lindell Riddle. I recently purchased this watch from Larry Jones http://www.larjones.com/data/pwgnrl.htm He has some nice watches and is a good person to deal with.I would appreciate your comments regarding this watch or 4992B's in general. The watch is keeping perfect time and I really enjoy carrying it.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bob welcome aborad looks like you bought a beautiful watch looks to be in top condition.. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Nice watch Bob, and welcome. Smile

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Welcome Bob:

I have two .800 silver cased 4992B's. Neither is as nice as yours. From my observations, the "spec" lettering on the back of the case was much shallower on the silver cases than on the base-metal cases.

I was TOLD that some silver cases did not have "spec" lettering or, althernately, that some officers deliberately had it buffed off. Since it was shallow and the case was solid silver, there was little chance of damage.

We collectors, being the way we are.... place a value on clear and sharp lettering. One of my silver 4992B' has no lettering and one has it but it's fainter than yours.

That being the case, it's only fair to warn you that carrying the watch WILL wear that lettering and might diminish (although not destroy) it's value. It's your choice.

Or.... you can trade for one of mine! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
In a perfect world, you need at least two...one with perfect and sharp lettering for admiring and one with a case worn smooth for fondling and carrying!

At least that is my plan... Smile

PS...Peter, I wouldn't doubt some guys buffed off the "unsightly" lettering. National Match Springfield rifles in the 1920s and 30s had electro-penciled serial numbers on their shiny polished bolts. I've heard that some match shooters in those days would polish off the "ugly" numbers to purty up their rifles, much to the chagrin of the modern collector!

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
Thanks Clyde.

Methinks you might be a competitive high-power shooter. I've played THAT game (M1-A) and have shot bullseye-pistol for years.

Sorry for the off-topic! Roll Eyes

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Mea Culpa, Peter... Smile

I must be honest and say that I am only a recreational High Power guy, but got it honest from my Dad who shot bullseye and HP rifle competition in the Marines in the 50s and early 60s.

The National Match '03s are amazing artifacts though...rather like a Ball 998E ! Real Cadillacs.

There, I got it back on topic... Smile

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
posted
I cannot read the contract number on your watch. I might be able to give some history on the watch. Also you can write research@nawcc.org with the movement serial number, and if it was produced during the war, we can give you the date of completion.

You might want to read Whitney's "Military Timepieces to learn about the 4992B. Briefly it was a Master Navigational Watch. It was mostly used for short term navigation on planes. The hack feature allowed it to be set before a mission agains an accurate time source. Celestial navigation is done with Greenwich Mean Time. Silver cases were prefered by the Navy.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Donald, thanks for the information on my 4992B. The contract number is 86366. The seller reported that this is a 1942 contract. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005