posted
This my be too light but...

Sheila

011elg

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Sheila,
Don`t know who made it but best I can figure it`s Swiss or foreign.
Looks like fake winding wheels since I see no click.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Sheila,

Looks a Swiss Fake to me. I've seen that CWC monogram before, on a Swiss Fake. That's to make you think its a Columbus Watch Co. product.

Moreover, the "recessed" pivots, lack of "click" on what is supposed to be the ratchet wheel, all these things point to it being a Swiss Fake. Check the balance wheel, it should be non-split.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Sheila,
Your watch isn't a Swiss fake. In fact it isn't even Swiss. It was made by New York Standard, under a whole bunch of different names. The tip-off is the lack of a click on either of the "winding wheels". In fact these wheels do nothing except spin around as the watch is wound. The actual winding gears are under the pillar plate, the ones on top are only for show.
You can see a similar movement (hunting rather than the open face in your example) on p. 329 of The Complete Guide to Watches (25th Ed.).

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Wow! This is actually an ebay item, and I was just wondering what the mark was. The Dial is listed as an Elgin!

I know I have seen the mark before but could not remember who's it was.

This is even better! lots of info on something like this helps a lot.

Now all I need to know is, what's a click? Big Grin

What do you guys (not) see that I don't? a click?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Sheila,
A click is the part on a watch that prevents the mainsprings power from unwinding back through the stem. It is spring loaded and engages the teeth on the rachet wheel. The angle on the click allows the wheel to turn (be wound) in one direction but prevents any reverse rotation. You can see them on exposed winding wheels but on full plate models they are not visible without disassembley. (See pic below)

Ed,
I first thought it was Crown Watch Co. I looked my references (Shugart 1999 and Erhardts Beginning to End) over several times and still haven`t seen the exact diagram. The recessed jewels I had not seen before.
Cliche time - "You learn something new everyday"
Smile Smile Smile

Kenny

clicks

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Bernhard Schmidt
posted
Looks just a little bit like Waltham m 1892.
/Berhard

Posts: 423 | Location: Västerås in Swedem | Registered: January 02, 2004