• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford Grade 1000 Hunter "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Rockford 1000 in a hunting movement. See pictures. However, I can't find such a movement in my 2010 price guide. At the bottom of page 352 it shows a 21J OF model of the grade 1000, but no mention of a hunting version. Serial #824732.

Is there a Rockford guy out there?? Is this also a TWO STAR WATCH??

Rockford Grade 1000 Dial

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
posted
Rockford Grade 1000 "Hunting" Movement

Grade 1000 "Hunting" Movement

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
ON Page 26 of Frauenhoff's Rockford "Primer" the s/n824001-825,000 is reported as a Grade 640, Hunter, 3/4 plate Nickel movement, 21 Jewele, Model 3, Stem wind and pendant set, Adjusted to Heat and cold. That Grade 640 is reported in the Price Guide as 1 Star rare with a "value" of $3-400.00. I am very skeptical of that value as inclusive of the Hunter Case which the book reports as a $100.00 - $175.00 value.

Also, I should comment that the Grade 1000 is an open face movement shown in the guide as a 2 Star watch only slightly higher in value than your Hunter Case style 640.

So all in all, you should "insure" that nice Hunter Cased Grade 640 for about $600.00. NIce Watch.

As far as I am concerned, there were so very few Rockfords made in so very many grades that the surviving "10 percent" should all be 1 Star (or better)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
just a novice collector......... it appears the regulator on the model 3 is different than that of the grade 1000. Did they change? The picture on page 346 of the Price Guide also states they made the grade 1000 in OF and HC. Does the different regulator indicate anything???

posted
Also, the Grade 1000 is adjusted for "Heat and Cold" while the description for the Grade 640 says adjusted 5 positions. Still confused.

The regulator is totally different on a model 3.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Page 20 of Roy Ehrhardt's "Rockford Watch Co. Grade and serial numbrs with Production figures" only described this as a Heat and Cold Adjusted 21J Hunting.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is page 26 of Frauenhof's book and details the movement a little more as I mentioned earlier. But I see nothing referring to any position adjustments. As the productio date of this movement is bvetween 1911 anjd 1915, I would expect it would be marked with all adjustements.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I must add that the price guide re-print of Rockford's ad "Our Special Number 1000" is not referring to Grade. Actually that Grade is recorded as 645 in both reference books for the open faced version. To that end, I think you have a "Rockford Special 1000", Grade 640 which is very rare and valuable. The Price Guide has unintentionally confused this issue by printing the ad about this AND they did add the footnote that this open face example is "about" (I say EXACTLY) the same as a Grade 645. As there is no mark of "1000" I am sure the grade numbers are as recorded.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Excellent follow-up !!

One would think the grade 640 definitely is a 5 position watch, but being marked only "heat & cold", it leaves one with a lot of unanswered questions as to why a company wouldn't tout & scribe positions on evidently a higher grade watch. It is stated that the grade 640 is a 5 position watch at least from what I can see and the serial number makes it a "640" Confused

Also, where are you coming up with "1000", all I can see is a "640". Is "1000" stated anywhere on this watch Confused But then I could be the one that's confused, as it doesn't take much to confuse me Big Grin

Interestingly, I would think if it was a "1000 Special" that it would be marked as such, but I do see by the vintage ad that they definitely are calling a "645" watch "our special 1000" and that it's "about the same as grade 645" which my peanut brain cannot possibly compute....... It's like saying; " An Illinois 23J 60 hour is about the same as a 163." Frown

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
You guys are awsome! It sounds like even Rockford didn't know what they were describing or grading! Some of the info is confusing at best.

That being said............ is it likely that during the run of Grade 640 Model 3's, Rockford decided to make the "Special No. 1000" and change the regulator on some of them? Are they a "Special 1000" by name only with no markings?

How rare would this watch be? Has this watch been discussed or encountered on HC185?

In Ehrhardts 1978 Price Indicator on page 22 he requested more feedback on watches over #824,000. Ours is #824732. Does anyone know if he completed the project? Thank you again for all of your knowledge and expertise!