WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help - Hamilton 21 jewel, motor barrel - info wanted "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all, I have a Hamilton, 940, adjusted 5 position, double roller, 21 jewel, serial no. 978575 with 4 hands on the front, and Jas H Bartlett, Souris, Manitoba on the front. I looked, but can’t see another dial the same at all.

Does anyone have any information on this? Have added photos below.

Thanks all in advance for your help
Lynn

Posts: 4 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: March 29, 2022
posted
Hi Lynn, you have an 18 size Hamilton circa 1914.
-there are two hour hands, one would be to indicate a different time zone
and was most likely painted red.
-the dial is referred to as a Private Label- the name of the jeweler and location
where it was sold. Souris is a small town in the Province of Manitoba, Canada
- the dial is a Canadian Pacific Railroad dial, a 24 hour time system as indicated
by the red numbers around the inner dial. The 24 marking was not used in the US
The style of the dial is called a Montgomery dial.

The Hamilton 940 was popular and a workhorse in those railroad days.

Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
posted
Hi Rick, THANK YOU SO MUCH! It’s really interesting what you’ve written - I was a bit confused as we have no connections in Canada

IHC Member 1892
posted
HiLynn: Nice find. In addition to Rick's information;
My copy of"Clock & Watchmakers in Canada, 1700 to 1900" Tells me J. H. S Bartlett was working in Granby, Quebec in 1871 but by 1895 he was in Souris, Man. I suspect he followed the CPR there as the line to Souris was completed about 1881. He would see a big change in watches fron 1871 t0 1895. Smile
If you google "Souris Railway Museum, Inc" you will find more info. on where your watch came from. I suspect there are not a lot of Montgomery 24 Hr. dials with jewellers names on them around, John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Lynn: Any chance we could see the movement? I am interested in seeing if his name is on it as well. I know a fellow that collects Jewelers dial watches if you intend to sell it. It deserves to be restored. This one was produced in 1914 which would indicate Mr. Bartlett was still working in Souris at that time. John

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
posted
Hi John, so sorry not got back to you earlier, thought I’d posted something bAck, but seems it failed.
Anyway, picture attached - please let me know if you need a different angle.
Re selling - would need to talk to my brothers as it’s part of my dad’s estate - what sort of value do you think it would have?
Thanks again John,
Lynn

posted
Another pic

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Lynn: Boy, thats a hard one. I can't tell much about it, ie does it run, condition of case etc. Big negative is condition of dial which could be restored but expensive.. My gut tells me in 150US +/_ but that is a real shot in the dark. Maybe if you were to put in on this site as an auction with a reserve it would be best. Perhaps if you contact Dr. Debbie she could help with that. (providing you want to sell). I would be interested in it but a lot of unknowns here. John

IHC Member 1338
posted
Hi Lynn, looks like that dial could POSSIBLY be saved with a new monty outer chapter....and you'll need a specialized repairman to do the job properly. If the dial were nice it would raise the value as much as several hundred dollars. Like it sits, I'm afraid I have to concur with John on the $150 value.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Nice watch. However it does need some work which can easily be done by a competent watchmaker. The biggest obstacle of course as others have said is the dial. The hands are mismatched also. My experience with these Canadian Hamilton RR watches is the the hour and minute hands are of the same style as your minute hand. The dual hour hands should be positioned 1 one hour apart or maybe more depending on how many time zones the train passed through.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011