Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford 2-Tone movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
Picture of Bryan J. Girouard
posted
I picked up a very lovely Rockford 2-tone movement today, 15 jewels.

Is there any danger of the gilding coming off in my L&R ultrasonic cleaning maching?

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

Posts: 169 | Location: Dallas, Texas U.S.A, | Registered: March 30, 2004
posted
For a sharp 2-tone, I think most will agree that a very gentle and cautious cleaning by hand is the way to go. It really doesn't take much to loose some of that 2-tone finish.

Fred

p.s. Congrats on the pick-up Bryan, and what grade is the Rockford.

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks... I will proceed cautiously.

I don't know the movment grade, it is not marked. Serial number is 330,454.

Also, it has a screw on the barrel bridge set in a pie-shaped engraving with "L" and "P" in it. What is that for?

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

posted
Bryan,

I beleive that would be a Grade 87, Model 7.

The L-P screw is a mechanism that switches the setting mechanism from Lever Set to Pendant Set. there is a picture of it on P 344 of the 2004 edition of the Shugart Price Guide.

I'm in the process of trying to restore one of these switches on a model 7 Grade 89. I will plan to post a photo album of the workings of this mechanism in the "Time on My Hands" if I can get all of the parts.

I agree with Fred, that hand cleaning is best for the 2-Tone movements. Their guilding can wash out if cleaned to agressively.

Post a picture if you can. We love seeing those 2-Tone movements!

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
According to the serial # and my Ehrhardt Rockford book, this is a grade 87 and one of 5500 of this grade made.

This grade is also shown in a cut from an 1896 A.C. Becken catalog with a list price of $25. The other 18 size full-plate movements shown in this ad range from a 17 jewel grade 80 at $50 down to a 9 jewel grade 93 at $9.50.

And I believe your L/P screw is a feature found on some Rockfords of this time-frame that allowed conversion between Lever and Pendent setting.

Fred

p.s. Looks like Mike beat me to it here! Wink

Hamilton WW Expert
IHC Life Member
posted
Wow.. thanks for all the great information. Attached is a picture of the movement.

Unfortunately, as you can see, some impatient nit-wit has replaced the balance cock screw with a much larger screw... ugh! Some people can't leave well enough alone.

Does the L-P screw present any difficulties during disassembly and reassembly?

Bryan J. Girouard
Art Deco Wristwatches

posted
Bryan,

The switch mechanism shouldn't cause a problem in movement teardown. But since the mechanism on my Model 7 is totally missing, and I haven't come across another one before, I might not be the best one to answer.

Nice movement! You might have to seek out a new balance cock screw. Hopefully the one used hasn't stripped out the original threads.

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I just thought of something that might interest you... We had a discussion a while back about the interesting balance jewels of this model Rockford. Follow the link:

Rockford balance jewel topic