Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Hampden I've not yet seen until now "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Hi Everyone;

Got this Hampden in. It's an 18S 21J John Hancock Hunter...Book shows no 21J version, only a 17J. Looks like "Ball Hampden" type damaskeening in the semi circular pattern!

I ran this thru the database, and it shows 3,XXX made, my query is how many different models if any does that encompass? Has anyone seen one, your thoughts appreciated. #965749...1895?

I get more excited over this kind of stuff than anything else...any help appreciated!

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I think i have heard this called the 3 ball pattern ,,Maybe someone else can tell you more..Nice Watch i like it. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom, that is awesome! It looks like a special treatment of the John Hancock, possible centennial styled. With 21 Jewels it is a major item. The "3-ball" (pic below) is similar but not as pretty as yours.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1338
posted
David;

Thanks...how many of these were made do you think?
It's hard to believe over 3000 yet in 16 odd years this is the first one I've seen...Any more input on this would be appreciated...I'll continue to research it...where does the centennial fit in? The pattern?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Tom, I have the same pattern on an open face 21j John Hancock and I have had a 3 Ball pattern that was not a John Hancock. I seem to remember a very similar pattern on a 21j North American Railroad. I also have 2 18s Dueber hunter cases in silverine and marked Railway. Hampden is interesting because they are not well researched compared to other makers.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
THAT is a fantastic movement.

Great Find, Congratulations!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I just picked up a nice Hampden 17J 3 Ball pattern in a coin silver case for $75, I will have to post some pictures of it when it arrives.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Here is a picture of the 21 jewel most often seen.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
i do like the dial on these

posted
Sammie the dial on the 3 ball that I picked up this weekend is a bit more gothic, if that is possible, and does not have the "Canton, Ohio" marking and I also have a John Hancock 21j so when I post the 3 Ball pictures I will post some of it also.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1110
posted
To Samie, nice John Hancock!I like those fully marked ones like that.Thanks for showing it.Those dials, with "Canton Ohio" under the signature,I believe were only intended for John Hancocks, because the earlier ones did not have the company H.W. Co. trademark, or "Canton O." markings on the movement.If I'm wrong about that I'm sure some one else will straighten me out.I've seen this dial on Special and New Railways, but I don't think they came that way new.Most John Hancock watches I've seen have this Canton-marked dial.Odd thing about it is, in the Hampden book, in the parts catalog in it, there's no 18S dial listed that mentions the Canton marked version.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008