WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Nice Old Waltham 16-A Korean War Vet...Marked 21 Jewels? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
Got this nice old 1953 Korean War vet in looks all original with the usual oxidized dial marked 16-A adj 5 positions and 21 jewels

I do not see a 16-A 21J example in the book...just a 17J one. They show a 1621 21 Jewel example but not a 16-A 21J. Are these uncommon or just inadvertently omitted in the book?

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
another nice one Tom , is that 5 adjustments ?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
IHC Member 1338
posted
yes marked on movement

the only 16-A's I'm seeing in book are 17 and 22 jewels (GMT watch?)

Wonder why they left this 21J model off?

I was born in 1953, I'll probably just keep this one

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
Tom my friend saw your post and this is his comments from the research he has done!!!

The 16-A was the final pocket watch model of domestic production for Waltham. Waltham developed this movement with versatility in mind, producing a single chassis that could accommodate any grade of pocket watch required. Waltham developed the 16-A (16-A being the generic term for the watch) during WW2, and was able to turn out both 9J OA (this watch referred to by Waltham as the 1609) and 17J OB (this one, the 1617) general purpose watches for the US Army Ordnance Department, sent still thousands more of these same watches fitted with black dials to Britain and her Commonwealths, and also produced the AN 5740, a 22J Master Navigation Watch produced for the US Army Air Corps, and designated by Waltham as yes, you guessed it, the 1622. Also, a number of different stop watches were made using this same basic chassis.

Meanwhile, other watches were still made for civilian consumption, and it is one of those that you have. Waltham produced 1617s, and in the case of your watch, the 1621 for sale to the general public, once their military contracts had been satisfied. Neither are railroad grade as they are lacking several features required to carry a RR grade designation, and both were made at least through 1953, which is the end of the final SN list the company published, and perhaps right up until Waltham closed the doors. The 17J and 21J 16-A appear to have been marketed for those who still wanted a pocket watch, but did not require railroad accuracy. Although I have no reference as to original cost, the government paid $24.63 for a 1617, so I would speculate that your 21J probably cost around $30-$35 for individual purchase, but that would not have included the price of the case. Since it is a Waltham marked case, it is pretty certain that it sold as a cased unit. I have no reference material as to the price of a 10K RGP case of that era, but I would guess about $20 or so, or around a $50 investment at the time. Compare that to a Vanguard, Waltham’s railroad watch, listing at $71.50 about this time, a significantly higher price. If anyone has a 1948 or close price list, I am sure they will post the actual amount.

With a few exceptions, virtually all of the military production had metal dials, and finding an enamel dial in the final years of the company would have been an exception to the rule. However, the dial for this watch is not very hard to find, metal or enamel.

One thing that is somewhat incongruous, is that most 1617s have a micrometer regulator, while most 1621s do not. One would expect that the higher jewel count would have the more complex regulator. Perhaps one well versed in the mind of Waltham can provide an answer to this, as it is no doubt another of life’s burning questions that try men’s souls.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
A truly great & informative synopsis by your friend. Be sure and Thank him from our members !!

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1338
posted
Claude, please thank your friend for a very informative post!

So I have one of Waltham's last pocketwatches?
Then this would be somewhat historic in that regard
anyways. I will keep and carry this old guy just the way it is, which I believe is all original

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

posted
He drops by so I am sure he will read the remarks. Other than the typical sock drawer micro-scratches it looks to be in very good condition.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009